Mail Merge Combining Rows with multiple conditions

I am trying to create a mail merge that I can send to staff weekly that gives them individual data along with ONLY names of students that are failing.  I have searched and found how to combine rows using one condition and a compare column, but I do not understand the syntax well enough to know how to include a second condition. 

I have included screenshots below of data sheet, what I am getting when I run merge, what I want when I run merge, and what I have entered in merge.

Hi bcochra,

Thank you for your message in this forum. I’m sorry for the late reply.

According to your description, it seems that you want to use mail merge to list all students’ names who are currently failing. Given this situation, we have a workaround, as steps shown below:

In this way, you may need to copy the same number of field codes according to the number of your data. And when displaying the name, although the name of the student who did not fail will not be displayed, the corresponding position will be vacated. As shown in the last screenshot.

At the same time, you can also filter all students who are failing in Excel, as shown below:

Best Regards,

Sukie

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
• Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This will work for just kids who are failing, but I also need to include the Teacher column as a filter.  In my screenshot, I realize there is only teacher 1, but in actual sheet, there are 90 teachers.  Each teacher will receive an email with kids failing their class, but a kid may be failing more than one class and appear in multiple emails (i.e. Teacher 1 might get Student 1, 5, and 8, while Teacher 2 might get Student 3, 5, 8, 10, and 22)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi bcochra,

We appreciate that you posted back.

I have read your requirement carefully, it seems that you want to send an email with kids failing their class to each teacher, at the same time, every kid may be failing more that class.

Since your requirement is complex, we may need some time to test it to check if we can achieve your requirement. At the same time, we noticed that you have posted a thread in the other forum. And members and MVP have provided some good suggestions, so we’d suggest you can also refer to the suggestions member provided in that thread.

Your understanding and patience will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Sukie

• Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi bcochra,

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

We have tested it on our side and we found that it may not be achieved with Mail Merge. We have further researched Mail Merge rules and field code, and we found that there is no Mail Merge rule in the article can achieve your requirement to filter 90 teachers and find the corresponding failing students at one time, even if we have checked field code, we’re afraid that it may not to achieve your requirement to filter 90 teachers at the same time, you may need to filter the teacher one by one. We're sorry that it doesn't meet your requirement. I do understand the inconvenience it has made and apologize for it.

In the meantime, to address your concern, you can provide feedback to our related team by clicking on the Smiley Face button inside Word. This feedback will directly go to them so that our related team can hear your voice on this feature directly.

At the same time, VBA code may achieve your requirement, if you are willing to use VBA, you can post back and we will help you move this thread to Programming forum.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Sukie

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We have tested it on our side and we found that it may not be achieved with Mail Merge.

You are quite wrong about that. It can be achieved with mailmerge and the OP has been given detailed advice about that, with links to working examples, in the cross-post link.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 4, 2023 Views 420 Applies to: