MACRO: Mail Merge to Email - Dynamic subject line

Hi,

I use mail merge in Word 2010, using data from an Excel 2010 spreadsheet, for personalized emails. However, the most important thing to personalize email - the subject line - is not dynamic.

I'm searching a Macro for insert custom field into a subject line using mail merge.

I found some Add-Ins that do this, but these are blocked in my work.

Therefor, simple Macro would be great. The Macro just take the field <<subject>> (from Excel) and insert it to the the subject line.

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated December 5, 2019 Views 4,291 Applies to:
It's not that simple which is why there are the add-ins. Get your company IT support to checkout http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm  which will easily do this either in one to one or many to one modes.
Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Graham,

The IT manager in my organisation is very strict.

He would never allow to reduce the restrictions. I asked him more than once.

I must to have a Macro. This can save me hours of work.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

An IT manager who is preventing you from doing your job, is not doing the company any favours.

The reason is often associated with saving him work, rather than enabling you to work

If he won't allow the use of tools that do what you need to do, but will allow the use of macros which in the wrong hands can cause mayhem, the company really needs to rethink its IT strategy.

Take it up with management.

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Sorry this didn't help.

It doesn't make sense that you are able to use macros, but not install an Add-in.  However, if you download a copy of my MergeTools – 20150422.dotm Add-in from the following page of my One Drive:

http://bit.ly/1hduSCB

and save it somewhere on your local drive and the select the file and use Ctrl+c to copy it to the clipboard and then in Word, go to File>Options>Advanced and scroll down to the General section of the dialog a then click on File Locations and select the Startup item and the click on Modify and then right click in the right hand side of the Modify Location dialog and then select Paste, the add-in will be installed in the correct location so that the next time that you start Word, a Merge Tools tab will be added to the ribbon.

If you use the Merge with Attachments facility on that tab when you have a Letter type mail merge main document with an Excel or Access data source attached to it, you will be able to merge that document to email and select a field from the data source to supply the subject for the email message with the option of having some fixed text before or/and after the text that is supplied by that field.

The field names in the data source must contain only alphanumeric characters (No @,#,$,%,&,(,), etc) and the field names must not start with a numeric character (0-9). The number of characters in the field names, including spaces, must not be more than 40.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
Screen shots by Snagit from www.techsmith.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your help.

I work in a government office, and its computers can't access to the Internet. You also can't plug a flash drive. The network is LAN only. I know some VBA, so I may write some Macros for my own uses.

I downloaded your excellent Add-In, and honestly, it looks really good (I recommend you to put, in the ribbon, a donation button. I think it's better than a pop-up).

Unfortunately, I can't use your Add-In in my work. I would appreciate if you could help me to write a Macro for a dynamic subject line.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry Robbins, 

The macro when used only asks for printing the page and continue for the donations ad is not working properly after that. I cant even test whether it is working fine.

Regards

karvensu

Sorry this didn't help.

If you send me the files that you are using, I will check them out.  In the covering email message, please advise which type of merge you are wanting to perform.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
Screen shots by Snagit from www.techsmith.com

Sorry this didn't help.