link to bookmark in Word doc stored in SharePoint

I link to bookmarks in Word docs all the time, so that the doc opens at the specific location I need rather than just opening at the top. However, I can't make that work when the Word doc is stored in SharePoint online. In all cases I've tried (described below), the doc opens in Word Online in my browser but it always opens at the top.

The URL in the Word hyperlink dialog is this (the doc has public access rights so you can try it):

https://visiostepbystep.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=IyBtubd3Skf6W%2bkx1MonRodE8PrHgpmKYa7cPv2G%2fAE%3d&docid=1d2b672bc66984c8d93f539022c611c6c

I’ve tried adding the following to the end of the URL. In all cases, the doc still opens in the web app but it is not positioned at the bookmark:

• #bookmarkname
  • &bookmark=bookmarkname
  • &name=bookmarkname
  • &target=bookmarkname

Is opening at a bookmark an available feature in the Word web app? If so, what is the correct syntax?

Hi Scott, I've seen your Visio Power User tutorials :) (Y)

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you:/

What I noticed is:

- while working with the Visio Desktop Application, it is possible to link and open a bookmark in a Word file, which is stored on a SharePoint.

If I do it as you decribed in microsoftvirtualacademy (new hyperlink>local file (even if it is stored on a SharePoint)>bookmark), the link will open the Word Desktop application and bring me to the right bookmark.

BUT: if I type in the hyperlink by hand (i.e. copy it from a SharePoint list), Visio will open the Word file in the Word Online Application, but it does not give me the selected bookmark.

(fyi: my link looks like mysharepoint.com/documents/filename.docx#bookmark?d=......(some numbers)...... )

- while accessing the visio file from the SharePoint, the same link does open the Word-file, but this time only with Word Desktop. And it won't give me the bookmark, since Word Desktop opens the document in READ-ONLY

So Word won't open any bookmarks/links automatically, as I open a file from the Internet/SharePoint. It seems like Word wants to protect me, while accessing external files.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for confirming my experience -- that it doesn't work. It's a shame because linking to bookmarks is incredibly useful.

I'm glad you found my Visio PowerUser tutorials at Microsoft Virtual Academy to be helpful.

Scott Helmers // Scott@VisioStepByStep.com
author of "Visio 2016 Step by Step" & Visio courses at LinkedIn Learning https://bit.ly/LILAuthor

If my reply is helpful, please mark it as the answer.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe I should've checked in the first place. Word Online does not have the bookmark feature.

Word Online unequal Word Desktop

As simple as it is....

(yeah, there's a lot of SharePoint tutorials, and a lot of Visio tutorials - but rarely SharePoint+Visio tutorials :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seems like a fairly straightforward thing to accomplish.  Is there any information on when this feature will be provided?  If not, why not?

Dodge

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I experience the same issue (365 for Business on Mac), but not only when using SharePoint but over all. Links from Excel-documents to Word-documents generated with Office 2011 that worked fine would now, in Office 365, open the Word-document only on top but not on the requested page. Any update on the issue?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for reviving this topic, Beat. I would also like to know whether there has been any work done on this issue by Microsoft.
Scott Helmers // Scott@VisioStepByStep.com
author of "Visio 2016 Step by Step" & Visio courses at LinkedIn Learning https://bit.ly/LILAuthor

If my reply is helpful, please mark it as the answer.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a visio diagram in SharePoint. Within said diagram, I have hyperlinks to word documents also in SharePoint. In the SAME SharePoint Subsite.

Hyperlinks without the "guestaccess.aspx?" work fine. Hyperlinks with "guestaccess.aspx?" do not work. We cannot figure out how to keep all the hyperlinks in working order.

Recommendations, please?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2024 Views 7,525 Applies to: