Latest version of Excel (Office 365 for business) has an obscure calculation bug concerning ROW(), COLUMN() etc.

I downloaded Office 365 16.0.11328.20156 32 bit on Wednesday 13th March (running on Windows 7).  I then had a call from a client whose workbook with my VBA code had completely corrupted itself.  On investigation I found the following problem detailed below.  On Thursday I had a call from another client, different owrkbook but the same cause.

Basically I think MS have been optimising the calculation algorithm and there is a bug.  If one is using ROW() formulas or similar in a control sheet monitoring the movement of blocks of cells in another sheet, then when runnig with VBA and Calculation set to Manual  the operation "Sheets("sheetwithROWformulas").Calculate fails to adjust the value returned by ROW() etc. when rows have been inserted/deleted in the sneet being monitored.  This destroys the workbook being managed as the VBA then writes over the wrong areas of cells.  Below is a screen shor of a simple test workbook that demonstrates the problem.  I am happy to share this test workbook with anyone including MS development engineers so they can fix the problem.  It is unusual to be able to demonstrate a problem with a simple test file, but this problem is solid not intermittant.  It needs to be fixed.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has encountered this bug.  Cheers, Bill Bekenn - "Spreadsheet Engineer"

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated January 17, 2024 Views 576 Applies to: