Issues syncing #EXT# accounts

Hello,

I have run into something for which I am not able to find a solution. 

When an External user is given access to a SharePoint site it creates a #EXT# user in the active users list. 
I create contacts in my Active Directory and Synchronize them to Office 365 which works absolutely fine. The contacts are not part of the organization but are external users. The same external users are then given access to a SharePoint site which creates a #EXT# account. This does not cause any issues with Synchronization as the contacts were synced before the #EXT# accounts were created.

However, in the second scenario I give SharePoint access to external users first and then try to sync contacts to my active directory which have the same email address. DirSync recognizes a conflict and does not allow me to synchronize the contacts since the  SMTP address is the same.

Would deleting the SMTP address of the #EXT# account take away the users access to the SharePoint site. Also, the number of external users who are given access to SharePoint sites is huge and hence monitoring whether a #EXT# account is created for a particular contact before syncing is practically not feasible. 

Please help find a way out.

Regards,

Apoorva Kasbekar

Answer
Answer

Hi Apoorva,

Sorry for my delay.

After I read the posts, I totally understand the scenario you faced that the conflict happens when you try to sync the users in the contact lists after they have owned the #EXT# accounts already.

Technically, this is a normal behavior and we can’t sync them directly. As a workaround, we suggest you do a filter from SharePoint online admin center to identify the External user with SMTP address and remove it. Admin can include this as a weekly maintenance task or script this to run a daily task to remove the attribute from user profile.

Here is article for your reference :http://www.lewisroberts.com/2015/04/10/editing-sharepoint-online-user-profiles-with-powershell/.

THIRD PARTY LINK DISCLAIMER
Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the download you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to the download or the downloaded technology. If you need support relating to the third party technology, please contact the manufacturer directly

Thanks,
Sky

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 10, 2016 Views 696 Applies to: