Is there a fix (and a permanent one) for Error 0x80042108?

I keep getting the fated, “outlook cannot connect to incoming pop3 email server error”:
(0x80042108): 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) email server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

This error pops up randomly for each of the domains I use Outlook for. I find it easier to use Outlook 365 because I have several domains with email accounts and it's easier/faster than checking each individual web server email account. 

It will fix itself usually but I'm pretty tired of this happening on a repeated basis. I contacted my hosting company and they tell me that Microsoft is blocking my email. 

Each time I contact my hosting company they tell me it's a problem with Microsoft and I need to contact them because (from my hosting company): The problem is the login settings that are being submitted from your IP are incorrect and creating the block. This is either being caused by Outlook or the information manually put into Outlook, unfortunately neither are in our control. We can only provide you the correct settings and recommend Microsoft if you are unable to get it to work with the information provided.

I've gone through every step the hosting company has given me. I have extended the server timeout for as long as it will go, changed ports, changed ports back again and they swear the problem is on Microsoft's end, but I can't figure out how that is. I repair each account. I close Outlook, I shut down and restart my PC, but it continues to happen - I just never know when or for how long until the problem shows up and then corrects itself. 

And if it truly is a Microsoft issue, I really need a once and for all, final fix.

Hi NLS,
How many computers or devices do you have connecting to the POP mailbox? When you use POP, it puts a lock on the mailbox and will block other devices from connecting until it disconnects.

Who is your account provider?
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 668 Applies to: