Insider Fast: Word for Mac focus mode is here!

Calling all Insiders using Word for Mac!

You asked for it, and we're pleased to announce the return of focus mode for Word for Mac, released to the Insider Fast audience on 8/25 with update 15.26 (160824).  Similar to focus view in earlier versions of Word for Mac, focus mode removes distractions and lets you concentrate on your work. 

Focus mode is available for users with Office 365 subscriptions.

We'd love your feedback

You can turn on focus mode via the "Focus" button from the View tab in the ribbon, the View menu, or the Status bar.

The hidden chrome and black background help you easily focus on your content - for reading, writing, or presenting.

When in focus mode, you can mouse to the top to temporarily pull in the ribbon, giving access to any commands you might need.

Give it a try and let us know how it works for you, especially in situations when you need a distraction-free view.  If you have any feedback, we would love to hear it!  Thank you in advance for your interest :).

Have questions?

Feel free to respond to this post with your comments or questions - We'll be paying attention and will respond as soon as we're able.

Thank you,

Word for Mac team

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yes, since you asked :-)

Hypothetically speaking on behalf of actual Microsoft customers:

"I paid full price for an Office 2016 Retail License before the perpetual payment plan [i.e., subscription]was introduced . There was no indication that doing so would put me at a disadvantage because there was no alternative at that time. Why should I be denied features being provided to subscribers? This is not the first & I'm sure it won't be the last move designed to force users into subscription submission - even those who already have paid."

So far this is working beautifully, and I have missed it for drafts.  The drop down menu at the top is extremely helpful as is the lack of distraction with the black background.  This is a relief to have this capacity back.

I really like it too! But I do find that of all the features that might be good for subscribers only, this one is confusing... I have an Office 365 account with my school, but once I graduate I plan to purchase a permanent license.

Going to be sad to give up this Focus view that I've been so looking forward to!

But as it is, works great. Really glad to see it's return from prior versions of Word!

A permanent license is just what it says. You get permanent use of the product you bought, not a new version. Subscribers pay extra and get new features.
I am an unpaid volunteer and do not work for Microsoft. "Independent Advisors" work for contractors hired by Microsoft. "Microsoft Agents" work for Microsoft Support.

I am very glad you have added this feature, but how do I activate it?

I have office 365 subscription through my university. 

I have done all the updates

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office

I have done all the updates again

But still I do not see Focus Mode...

What am I missing?

Does my university have to do something to make sure its community of subscribers have this feature?

Thanks!

Go to the Word menu and choose About Word. If it does not say: Office 365 Subscription then you won't see the feature.

Microsoft Offers to students an Office 365 subscription for free. This site has details:

https://products.office.com/en-US/student/office-in-education

I am an unpaid volunteer and do not work for Microsoft. "Independent Advisors" work for contractors hired by Microsoft. "Microsoft Agents" work for Microsoft Support.

Thanks Jim, 

About Word says: 

"Microsoft Word for Mac

Product ID: XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXX

Liscence: Volume License

Device ID: XXXXXX-XXX-XXX-XXXX-XXX

2016 Microsoft"

So there is no mention of Office 365 Subscription but there is a mention of a "Volume" License"

I have however activated my Office 365 Subscription with my university and signed in, both before and after I uninstalled and reinstalled.

(I am not a student but a faculty member so the free student subscription wouldn't apply) 

Joseph

1.       Quit all Office 2016 apps
2.       Rename or delete /Library/Preference/com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.plist
3.       Launch an Office 2016 app and look in the About box to verify it says Subscription

If you still see Volume License after doing this, add killall cfprefsd as step 2b.

Love this feature, for me actually a key one that could move MS Word back into contention as my all round editor rather than a type setting application. Thanks and well done.

Now, to push it to the next level of usability and excellence:

1. Optional Background is not on the macOS version? Why not? Please allow mac users to set background.

2. Custom Background. Why not user set .jpeg or .png as backgrounds?

3. "Paper" and text colour in focus mode (eg I prefer a fairly dark grey "paper" with even darker grey text)

4. Paper textures in focus mode

I believe everyone who spends considerable time at a desk writing would consider these high value added features to MS Word (including the macOS version)

OC

This is NOT a new feature, it exists in office 2011, an older version of office, and it was removed from the 2016 version, then brought back. Since this isn't a new feature, it shouldn't be available only to subscribers, moreso since it exists on the non-subscribe version of windows office (reading mode). You MUST make this option available again on office for all users!

Discussion Info

Last updated March 29, 2020 Views 7,645 Applies to: