Inserting a file from OneDrive into OneNote Prompts me to Upload the file to OneDrive

I am on Mac with Office 365 for Business. All software is the latest production versions (no betas "Preview New...").

I am in OneNote and want to add link to a Spreadsheet (other other document) that is already on one drive.

1. Insert Ribbon, File

2. Navigate to the file in my fully synced OneDrive folder on the Mac.

3. Select a file, click Open

4. The dialog offers Insert as Print out, Insert as Attachment, and UPOAD TO ONEDRIVE AND INSERT LINK.

It is already on OneDrive, I don't want two copies.

Yes, I know that I can copy a like to the file and paste that, but then Onenote opens the file in the degraded web version of Excel (or other applications).

Is the operating as designed or is this a but that it does not recognize the file is already on OneDrive?

|

Dear and respected,

Good day!

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist. We are looking into your situation, and we will update the thread shortly.

Appreciate your patience and understanding and thank for your time and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Mia

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear respected,

We went through your post carefully and do understand your concern. But we are sorry to convey that this behavior is by design. When you insert a file from OneDrive into OneNote, it may prompt you to upload the file to OneDrive and insert a link to it instead of just inserting a link to the existing file. This is because OneNote needs to ensure that the file is accessible to anyone who has access to the OneNote notebook, even if they do not have access to the original file on OneDrive.

And from my tests, the uploaded copy will be added into a new folder called OneNote Uploads in your OneDrive.

For such a feature limitation, kindly submit your voice via the feedback channel so the related product development team can hear your voice and improve a better user experience. How do I give feedback on Microsoft 365? - Microsoft Support

I appreciate your time and effort on checking these above and thank you for your patience and cooperation. I hope that you are keeping safe and well!

Sincerely,

Mia | Microsoft Community Moderator

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mia,

learned something new, thank you 😊

Bernd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mia,

Thank you for looking into it.

That fact that it is intended behavior is puzzling as the one of the main benefits of Onedrive/Sharepoint is to have a single copy of a file vs. having multiple copies in multiple locations. So if a team has a file they have been collaborating on in OneDrive (Sharepoint) and they want the file in a notebook, adding from Onedrive willl for there to now be a copy of the original file in a new location.

I guess the solution is to not use OneNote to add the link for an existing document and instead copy the link from OneDrive or Sharepoint.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You have created the confusion yourself because you wanted to insert the file (always creating a copy) instead of insert a link 😋

Bernd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its not really confusing, The wording in the Insert File dialog box is very clear it is inserting a link, Using the insert link command a more manual process.

In the long run, copying the link from OneDrive or Sharepoint and pasting it works easier, you just have the extra step to change the display text to not be the path, filename, and other modifiers.

I really do not think it is asking much for the software to recognize the file is in sharepoint/onedrive and to not upload it to separate folder and then create the link but just create a link.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, the dialog box doesn't say insert link, it says upload to OneDrive (a copy) and insert link.

And Mia told you that the link is problematic related to access rights.

It's not that easy.

Bernd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 27 Applies to: