Insert Excel in "OneNote" and "OneNote for Windows 10"

I have two version of  OneNote on my win10 machine.

"OneNote for Windows 10" and "OneNote" installed from Microsoft 365 personal plan.

And I found if I use the the Win10 ver to insert Excel file and saved,

("Upload to OneDrive and insert Link", or refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/what-s-new-in-onenote-for-windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea)

I can get layout as below next time no matter I open it with which OneNote. 

The gray area will display the excel sheet and is able to scroll up-down and left-right, easily to read and refer.

Also in this case, the excel file is uploaded to my OneDrive and convenient to be maintained and modified.

While with the MS365 ver, I can't find a way to get this, no matter by "Insert existed excel" or "attach a file".

"insert existed excel" will get a full page of excel sheet without scrolling ability, this will make OneNote page bigger if there's amount data in excel.

I knew there's some difference between different version of OneNote, just not found the detail about this feature.

Below are abstract of my questions.

1. Is there a way to reach this in OneNote of MS-365 version? If not, I might need to use both version of OneNote.

2. Furthermore, is there a way to add other cloud file link (just office file like word, excel, powerpoint from other MS account) in both OneNote?

This is for that if I access OneNote by browser from other device,

I wonder to access the linked excel/word files by online editor easily without office software/app installed.

I tried to search while not found something similar to what I need. Please advise if someone has any idea.

Hi SaraphinesER,

Thanks for posting your concern here in the Community. Let's address your concern regarding inserting Office files in OneNote.

I appreciate the detailed information you've shared. About your questions:

1. I was able to replicate your concern here on my end, and it seems that it is by design that OneNote 2016, copies the whole spreadsheet. See the image below:

2. Adding other Office files in OneNote is possible. See the steps provided on this article and support link. However, OneNote only attaches an image of the file inserted. Making changes on the file won't update in OneNote and vice versa.

So the best way to achieve your goal is as you mentioned, save the files in OneDrive, copy and paste the link of the file in OneNote, then you can access it in OneNote.com. At the same, any changes made on the file will be updated on the source and vice versa.

You may also post an idea in the OneNote UserVoice. This would help us improve our products as our developers are always willing to listen on what feedback our customers are having.

Should you have any other concern, don't hesitate to post back in the Community.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Regile Reb,

Thanks for your reply and the 2 links in point-2. I understood and agreed your suggestion on 2 that the shared file is better to be uploaded into OneDrive space.

Indeed if I pasted a video link (like youtube example in  article that you provide) on OneNote, I can get a hyperlink and also followed a video screen, which can be played if you press on it. 

While if I tried to add a "existed file on OneDrive cloud" by a shared link, I can only get a hyperlink on OneNote without any screen or display shown for quick view, that's why I tried several methods and asked the point-1 in my first post.

For point-1 you reply, I think it's still different from what I am asking by copying whole spreadsheet, perhaps I didn't put a clear image in first post. I also tried to create a new OneNote notebook and shared with you, please refer to "TestFeature".

My question is it seems better to me if I use "OneNote for Windows 10" to insert a local excel file, it's quick and easy by one clicks to choose "upload to one drive and insert link". 

Below is the clear capture to address what I am looking for.

The 3 red rectangle shows the difference, the scroll bar (horizon and vertical) gives the ability to view. I am using full office apps installed from MS-365 personal plan (as I found in MS help, this seems from office 2016, including word, excel, onenote etc.) but I didn't find a way to reach this by OneNote(2016), only can by "OneNote for windows 10". While I believe there should be some way to do this since OneNote is more powerful.

Also there's a further question that I can only get this feature with a "Local" file by using "OneNote for windows 10", each time I have to choose local file and choose "Upload to OneDrive and insert link" but I can't make this with any existed file link from OneDrive cloud.

Please let me know if there's ways to reach this by OneNote(2016), and also for second question, reach this with a existed OneDrive file link.

Thanks for your patience to go through my questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate your response. It really does seem that the feature you're looking for in OneNote 2016 isn't available. OneNote for Windows and OneNote 2016 has its own differences.

This is why, we would again highly encourage you to post an idea in the OneNote UserVoice. This would help us improve our products as our developers are always willing to listen on what feedback our customers are having.

If you have any other concern, simply post in the Community.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Regile Reb,

Thanks for your kindly reply. Also it's good to get a confirmed answer

that what I am looking for is not supported instead of my careless to find the function.

Surely I will turn to post this on OneNote UserVoice to suggest.

Appreciate your check and suggestion again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2024 Views 1,327 Applies to: