Indexing is too slow and never ends - Office 2016 and Windows 10

I have a very serious problem with my indexing. I have Windows 10 and I am using office 2016. I use outlook for emails and i receive and send around 300-400 emails per day and i use the Search option in Outlook very frequently. In the past 3-4 months i started facing a problem with my indexing and this is really affecting my work. Indexing is too slow and it never ends. I tried many solutions that i found on the internet like rebuilding the index and disable indexer backoff but nothing worked. My laptop is brand new and i have an SSD 1 Terra hard drive with 16 GB Ram. There is also one time where i waited for the indexing for about a month and when it reached around 400,000 items indexed it restated again by itself. Few of my colleagues have the same laptop and we are all facing this problem and we noticed that this happened after a certain windows update that we installed but we are not pretty sure about it. Please this is really annoying and we are not really able to work efficiently. It is so depressing. Help !!!!!!!!!!! 

Hi Dany,

Since you've already tried disabling indexer and rebuilding the index, we suggest checking this article about troubleshooting performance issues in Outlook and look for the title Is Windows Search or Windows Desktop Search  currently indexing data in the .pst or .ost file to improve the indexing performance.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide you further assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Jan Del, 

Thank you for the reply. 

I checked the article mentioned above. Please find below the outcome. 

I would like to highlight that i am keeping my laptop overnight since 2 months. For example, if you look at the below screenshot, yesterday night it was 75,121 items indexed. Now it is 75,855 so the progress is too slow (only 734 items indexed in more than 12 hours).  

Also by the way, usually before the indexing issue happened, i used to have around 500 000 - 600 000 items to be indexed, not sure why in the indexing status it is mentioning 16573 which makes a total of 92428 items.  

I have also tried to do scanPST.exe and found some errors in my .pst and repaired them. But still the same issue. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the additional information that you've provided. We are currently checking other options to help you with the indexing issue. We also recommend submitting this issue on our Office UserVoice for our developer to investigate on the issue.

Let us know if you have other queries.

Sorry this didn't help.

What size is the outlook data file?

And what type of mail a/c?

(As an observation 400 emails/day equates to about 1/minute, its not possible for an individual to process such an amount)

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply. I will submit on Office UserVoice as requested. 

I have no other queries for now. I just want to have my indexing fixed because i am really suffering and it is impacting my performance and productivity. 

I am ready to answer any question that you need or that help you in the investigation. 

Thanks again. Awaiting your feedback. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have many accounts. Please find below a screenshot showing the size of the outlook data files. 

The type is POP/SMTP

I swear i usually receive more than 400 emails per day. I am a Program Manager in a company where all the employees have to copy me on all the emails they send. Also, sometimes i send emails to more than 250 recipients per day. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Outlook performance will suffer degradation within any pst from about 12gb, and should you need to run the inbox repair tool, scanpst.exe this will take an inordinate amount of time to run on any data file of the sizes you have, and if running it you may find the system is unresponsive for any other process.

And if you have a backup process running any connected pst is marked as modified as soon as OL is open, therefore your backup will run on these data files, again, whether any data has been added or not.

If the pst size is bloated by attachments, you might be advised to purchase a third party attachment manager, these basically remove the attachment from the msg, to store on the local drive, and place a placeholder/link in the mail msg to the new attachment location

Sorry this didn't help.

I already did the scanpst.exe for all the pst files that i have and i had some errors and repaired them. 

Thank you for the detailed explanation. So in my situation only the outlook.pst one is around 25 GB and you think this is what is creating the indexing problem? The other pst files (except the archive1Dec2017.pst) are ok in size? 

So what do you advise me to do in this case?  

Sorry this didn't help.

Your Archive1stDec17 is 70gb

If scanpst finds/fixes an error you have to run it again/again until it finds no more to fix

Personally I would try to get any pst data file down to know more than 9gb

If you create multiple Archives, it probably isn't necessary to have them all open in MS Outlook

Sorry this didn't help.

But the archive (70 GB) is not loaded in my outlook. I closed it since i am not using it now. I thought this might accelerate the indexing but still the same. I will see how to decrease the size of my psts. 

Thanks a again for the swift reply.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 26, 2020 Views 8,266 Applies to: