IMAP Throttling on Office 365 mailing service

Hi,

I have an Office 365 mailing account. I use it with an IMAP client and I have several performance issue. I suppose that this is caused by a throttling mechanism on your side. Please read the IMAP part of this: https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=33784

I cannot mark as read five or more mails at a time, for example which is a huge problem when I want to check fast my inbox.

Could you help me please what can I do?

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2019 Views 2,765 Applies to:

Hi Halacs,

We don’t recommend our users to configure the Office 365 accounts via “IMAP” or “POP”. Also, the article you provided has said, “Due to the issues listed above, configuring a client via IMAP is not recommended”.

Given the situation, we suggest you configure your Office 365 account via “Exchange Autodiscover” (configuring the office 365 account by user names and password only). If you run into any problem during the process, please feel free to let us know and we will further assist you. Note: Make sure your mail client supports “Exchange Autodiscover” configuration method before performing it.

Regards,
Alan

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Why don't you recommend to use IMAP? What is the problem with?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi halacs,

when using the imap mode, only emails will sync with office 365 exchange online. other contents like calendar, tasks, and contacts will not sync to the email client. so it is suggested that you use exchange mode which will sync all the contents with the client.

then, i noticed that you said you used the mail account with an imap client. does that mean this mail client only support imap mode or you have some specific requirement to use imap mode in this mail client?

moreover, you said you have several performance issues and the article in your post is not a microsoft official article. could you give us some screenshots of the detailed performance issues? to upload screenshots, please click use rich formatting under the reply box and then click the insert/edit media icon.

regards,
yang

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

that is no problem for me. I want to synchronize only my mails so actually it is an advantage in my case.

I use mail client which only support IMAP and POP3, so this is the reason.

Performance issue means:

1) I select 5 mails in one specific folder in my desktop IMAP client

2) mark them read all at once

3) they marked read but some seconds later it became unread again

This dynamic behavior is not visible on screenshot, but video, however in a video I cannot hide sensitive information :(

Other performance issue was when I migrated my mails to office365 mailing service. At that time I had to upload more than 100 000 messages which was difficult because the IMAP connection was dropped by the server after a specific amount of mails. Handle this is complicated with several mailing client. For this uploading problem I found a workaround so I just mention this for you as an example, the first one is my real problem now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Halacs,

Thanks for your clarification.

I have also run a test and found the issue can’t be reproduced. The detailed steps are:
1. I configured my Office 365 account in the Outlook client (Windows Outlook). (Note: I just have the Outlook client only)
2. I can mark five email to be “unread” and they still kept “unread” even if I restart my Outlook client.

So, to isolate whether the issue is related to the client, would you please change another client and check the result (such as, the Outlook client) if it is possible?

Also, it is recommended that you check it in Outlook Web App (OWA) if you don’t have another mail client.

Regards,
Alan

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

yes, of course, but I may need some days and after I will write the outcome.

Br & thanks,

Halacs

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Halacs,

You are welcome to share with us the update if you get one. We will be happy to further assist you if it is needed.

Regards,

Alan

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alan,

sorry for the late answer. I needed more time than I expected.

I reconfigured my mail client and it seems now everything is okay with the same client as before.

The only difference is how frequently try to download the whole mailbox (all folders & all emails). Earlier this was each 5 or 10 minutes, but now this is 1 hour. With this configuration all problems seem solved so I think was a throttling mechanism caused by the too many folder updates.

Periodical download is needed for me since by IMAP folder subscriptions I am just notified when a new mail arrived but never downloaded automatically.

I hope I am right and this was the real reason of my problem. However, could you give me any information about the throttling mechanism of Office 365 IMAP servers? It would be nice to know to avoid same situations.

Best regards,

Halacs

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Halacs,

Thanks for the updates and I'm glad to see you have found a solution/workaround for the issue.

About the throttling mechanism of Office 365 IMAP servers, sorry that I can't find any information related to it. I understand your concern. Therefore, I suggest you submit feedback about the feature via office365.uservoice.com/.../273494-outlook-and-calendar. Many features have been designed or upgraded based on customers’ comments. Your understanding is appreciated. 

Sorry this didn't help.