I want to build a genelogy database using access

I need some help in designing the tables and queries to build a database for a family reunion.  The information gathered will be a person's name, spouse name, mother and father names.  There will also be contact information entered.  I need help in the table design and the queries to be able to link and identify the family members.  For example, children, grand parents, great grand parents, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Daniel Pineault
Microsoft MVP 2010-2021

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm with Daniel, google is your friend! There are lots of free and purchase apps already avaialbe on the internet, just go looking for them.
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Leon

I dont want to rain on your picnic - but if your expertise in relational database design is low - this is not the project to start with.

A geneology application is essentially 1 main table . . a list of people. and several relationship tables.

Sounds simple enough. Unitil you bring in all the relationships between people . 

Internally there are lots of many to many relationships . .and its the people table having numerous M:M relationships with itself.

when you consider all the possibilities . . father1 + mother1 > child1 . . then father1 + mother2 > child2. .  how many relationships have i just described . . and each needs to be recorded

how about gandpa > pa > son > grandson . . . where's ma . .

there are 2 main relationships you need to identify

1 . partner-partner . . identifying marraige / de-facto . . or even accidental parenting . . these define some union betwen 2 people . . usually - geneologically - producing the next relationship

2 . parent - child . . remember there are "usually" 2 parents (defined by a union record)

I would suggest that relationship is between the union (partner-partner) relation record and the people (child) record.

so you dont store the parents ID in a child record - you store the union record ID.

Im getting a headache just thinking about this - and I built a fully functional geneology system a few years ago.

and i havent mentioned adoptees yet . . . . . .

cheers

PaulG

KISS - Keep It Simple - Stupid
Think first - design second - code last

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 80 Applies to: