I think this email is a scam, can you let me know?

This is the email:

The email looks suspect alone but at the same time I don't feel like I am getting all of my email. So, combined it has me wondering. If I already didn't feel like I am not getting email then I would just assume it's a scam, now I am questioning.

From: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***@contoso.com>
Date: Monday, November 26, 2018 at 7:24 AM
To: Caleb Eliason <
*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>
Subject: Action Required: 14 Messages Sync Error

Dear*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Permission to dispose these files?

Office365 has prevented the delivery of 14 new emails to your inbox as of 11/26/2018 07:00:00 AM (UTC) because these messages are from recipients out of your organization. You can review these here and choose what happens to them. You can also get more information about quarantined messages by going to the Quarantine page in the Security and Compliance Center. work or school account.

Review Quarantined Messages

From this email, you can:

·         To release the messages to your Inbox, follow above link "Review Quarantined Messages'' Also allow 1 to 2 hours for failed message to be released.

© 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. | Acceptable Use Policy | Privacy Notice 

---PII has been removed by moderator---

Answer
Answer

Hi Caleb Eliason,

This email should be a spam. In general, you can identify the authenticity of an e-mail based on the e-mail address of sender.

Microsoft official emails will contain the word “Microsoft” in the domain name.

For example: *****@accountprotection.microsoft.com

You can analyze the message by following the steps below:

1. Double-click an email message to open it outside of the Reading Pane.

2. Click File > Properties.

3. Header information appears in the Internet headers box.

4. Copy the message header and paste it to Message Header Analyzer via the following link:

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

To help you be vigilant and prevent fraud, here are some suggestions for you:

1. Please do not perform any operation or click on any link or attachment in the email.

2. If you have clicked on the link in the email, your account may be at risk of being stolen. Please reset with a strong password.

3. It is recommended that you mark the message as phishing email. For your reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn594557(v=exchg.150).aspx

Thanks,

Huni

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 23,142 Applies to: