I made a typo in the email address I entered when I set up my microsoft account

I made a typo when I entered my email address when I set up my Microsoft account. It leads to an address that doesn't exist. Now, when I try to register my product code and activate my account, a verification email gets sent to an address that doesn't exist, so I cannot verify it. Microsoft phone support couldn't help, and said I had to pose my question in this forum. My office software is OEM through HP. Can anyone help me?

Sign into the account using the incorrect email address and then click on the Account Aliases link.

There it tells you:

You can use multiple email addresses, like your personal and professional email, with your Microsoft account. Each of these is called an alias, and you can use any of them to sign in and to communicate with others through Microsoft services, like Outlook.com.

Your account's primary alias is displayed on your Microsoft devices (such as a Windows PC, Xbox, or Windows Phone), and you can choose a different alias to be the primary one at any time.

This should allow you to by-pass the error.

Also see: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/outlook/add-alias-account

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Another option is to call MS Support and have them issue you with a new product key and cancel the current subscription.
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem but I've made a typo in the new alias and it says i can't change it. I now don't i have a way of properly signing since the codes been sent to my fake account. This is  on a different account by the way.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When setting up the account it says that it sends information to the e-mail address that you gave to enable you set up the account.

However, as the typo is in the e-mail address obviously you don't get the set up e-mail.

There is a link to click on which says if you made a typo in the e-mail address click here, but that links to a page which says there is a temporary error on that page please try again later, but it has been like that for ages.

Anyone know what to do as I am stuck and can't download any aps or anything without the Microsoft account being set up.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As the account with the wrong email address would not have been activated because you would never have received the email and hence have not verified the account, just start the process again and this time, use the correct e-mail address.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That would be great if I could, but every time I try to download an ap it comes up with the same message asking me to look at the email that they sent me to continue with the account set up. However as I said because there was a typo in the email address I obviously can't access the email.

Again as I said before there is a link to follow if you have made a typo in the email address you gave to set up the account but this just goes to a page which says there is a temporary error with the page and come back later, but it has been like that for weeks.

All very very frustrating.

i hate to say it but Apple is much better at helping with things like this.

Ray

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am currentlyhaving this exact problem.  All I want to do is backup my my  photos from my Windows phon phone to onedrive, but because I made a typo in the email address, I am stuck.  It won't let me add the incorrect address as an alias saying it is unavailable. The option to correct the error exists but is permanently temporarily unavailable.  Any suggestions ?

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 20,091 Applies to: