I cannot update my Office license from "Office Home & Student 2021" to "Office Professional Plus 2021"

Hello!

In December 2021, I purchased a license for "Office Home & Student 2021" and installed it on my computer. On 7 May, 2022 I purchased a license for "Office Professional Plus 2021". My intent is to replace "Office Home & Student 2021" on my computer with the Professional Plus version.

Because I needed to perform the install when I didn't have a fast Internet connection, I downloaded the "Office Professional Plus 2021" offline installer .img file. I uninstalled "Office Home & Student 2021" using the Settings...Apps panel, mounted the .img file for "Office Professional Plus 2021", and ran "setup.exe" as an Administrator. At some point during that setup, I entered the License Code I'd been given when I purchased "Office Professional Plus 2021" online.

The installation appeared to complete successfully, but now when I start any Office application and click on "Account" to display the Product Information, the license that is displayed is still for "Office Home & Student 2021". If I click the "Change License" button, the "Hello, Brian, let's check your account" dialog appears. I click "Next", and the "Select Office for this device" dialog appears. It shows both my Professional Plus 2021 and my Home and Student 2021 licenses, "For use on 1 computer" and the computer listed for both licenses is my computer.

The "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2021" radio button is selected, but when I click the "Next" button a "Getting Office ready for you" dialog appears briefly and then disappears, and the license displayed in the Office application is still for "Microsoft Office Home and Student 2021".

Both orders show up in the "Order History" for my Microsoft Account, but if I sign in to office.com with the same account and click "Install Office", this is displayed:

Check which account you used

We can’t find your subscription. Did you use another account to make the purchase? You are signed in with [email address].

I tried using the Office Uninstall Tool to uninstall Office Home & Student 2021, but when I ran the tool it didn't detect that product.

I am literally doing everything I can to purchase Microsoft products legally and install them on my computer. Why does Microsoft make licensing so bloody difficult?

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could suggest something else to try.

Hi. I'm Brian and I will do my best to help you.

Office Professional Plus is not a consumer product. Typically it is a business product and requires a volume license provided by a company-run license server. Even if you were to be able to activate it, it will eventually stop working because it's not tied to a business license server. From whom did you purchase the licnse for this product?
Brian

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mr. Tillman --

Thanks for replying!

A website named "Citizen Goods" had this announcement on their website:

"Today through Citizen Goods, you can buy the entire 2021 Microsoft Office Professional Suite for just $50. This is markedly cheaper than the normal listed price of $350. Plus, this is not a subscription-based plan that requires monthly payments, but instead a one-time payment that will let you keep the software for life."

I purchased it because I am a software engineer and wanted Microsoft Publisher and Access in addition to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook (and because the $50 price was very very very good).

This is the website:

https://www.citizengoods.com/sales/microsoft-office-professional-plus-2021-for-windows

I was unaware that the "Professional" version of Office requires a volume license server. I checked this Microsoft website:

and saw this information:

• For 1 person

• One-time purchase for 1 PC

• Classic 2021 versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, plus Publisher and Access

• Microsoft support included for first 60 days at no extra cost

• Compatible with Windows 11 and Windows 10*

• Works with Microsoft Teams

Since neither the Microsoft website nor the citizengoods website mentioned anything other than a single-user, permanent license, I thought it was a valid offer, just at an insanely low price.

-Brian Kasper

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brian, as Brian Tilman stated you have an unlicensed version of Office Pro Plus. It may work for a longish time or a short time but Microsoft will catch up and disable it.

Microsoft Office Professional 2021
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013
Microsoft Office Professional 2003
Windows 10 Professional
HP ProBook 470 G4

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It doesn't matter what the site claims. It is not a retail version of Office.
Brian

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The thing that troubles me is that there was no indication during the purchasing process (which took place on a microsoft website) that the license was in any way incorrect or invalid. I'm not trying to do anything unethical or illegal, I'm just trying to understand (a) why this is not a valid license, and (b) why there was no indication from Microsoft during the purchasing process that I was doing something that's not approved.

The order shows up both in my Microsoft order list and in my list of "Products you've purchased" under "Services and Subscriptions":

If there's no indication from Microsoft that I'm not purchasing the correct license (and to be frank, Microsoft's licensing is somewhat confusing) how can I prevent an issue like this from occurring in the future? I even checked this Microsoft web page:

to be sure that a single-time-purchase license of Office Pro 2021 existed (I grant you, at a much-higher price, but I thought that the website from which I was purchasing it had somehow wrangled a deal).

-Brian

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Office Professional 2021 and Office Professional Plus 2021 are not the same thing. The former is a consumer product. the latter is not.
Brian

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, that makes sense.

Speaking as someone who was confused by this, perhaps Microsoft could make this distinction more readily apparent?

Thanks again to everyone who responded. Looks like I'll have to go back to citizengoods.com and request a refund, however unlikely that may be to succeed.

-Brian

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good luck.
Brian

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2023 Views 713 Applies to: