How to tell Outlook to auto-download pictures from a mailing list?

Many newsletters today use mailing services that send each issue of the newsletter from a different domain. E.g., for the Wired newsletter: 

WIRED <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>; on behalf of; WIRED <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>

and

WIRED <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>; on behalf of; WIRED <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>

are separate issues on separate days.

The Add the Domain @domain to Safe Senders List option (from the Click here to download pictures dialog at the top of the email in the reading pane does not work. Neither does a similar dialog to "add the newsletter @..." which I found from the "Tell me what you want to do" search on the Outlook menu bar.

Is there any way to tell Outlook to auto-download pictures from such "on behalf of" mailing lists?

TIA

Hi,

To address your concern, please follow the steps below on how to unblock automatic picture downloads.

1. On the File tab, choose Options > Trust Center.
  2. Under Microsoft Outlook Trust Center, click Trust Center Settings.
  3. Clear the Don't download pictures automatically in HTML e-mail messages or RSS items check box.

Unblock picture downloads for all messages from a particular email address or domain.

1. In an open message that was sent from a particular email address or domain, right-click a blocked item.
  2. Do one of the following:

Click Add Sender to Safe Senders List.

Click Add the Domain @domain to Safe Senders List.

Let us know how it goes.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply, but this DOES NOT solve my problem.

I do not want to blanket unblock ALL automatic picture downloads. I still want to have a choice so I don't allow just anybody (e.g., spammers) to download pictures.

And the two "Click to Add" solutions that you propose don't work for domains where part of the domain name is a serial number to distinguish between various issues of a periodic newsletter.

What I want to do is to: 

1. allow a user such as: "wired.com@<wildcard>.rsgsv.net"

OR

2. specify a domain such as "rsgsv.net" and have that allow "<wildcard>.rsgsv.net"

This kind of newsletter seems to be growing increasingly popular; it seems like there should be a mechanism to allow it.

TIA

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Refer to the steps on this link and check if it resolves the issue.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The instructions at the link provided DID NOT SOLVE the problem. Let me restate the issue since clearly people have not been understanding what I am trying to accomplish.

The problem is that while the root domain remains the same, the subdomain name changes from day to day:

One day the subdomain might be  "mail16.atl111.rsgsv.net" as in "WIRED <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>; on behalf of; WIRED <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>"

and the next day it might be:  "mail148.atl221.rsgsv.net" as in "WIRED <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>; on behalf of; WIRED <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>

The suggested solutions apply to subdomain names and thus will not work for a newsletter that is sent using this method. They would only permit future newsletters from the same subdomain and it is probable that there will never be another newsletter from that subdomain.

What I want to do is to instruct Outlook to automatically display pictures from a root domain (e.g., "rsgsv.net") and have it allow all subdomains of that root; e.g., allow both "mail16.atl111.rsgsv.net" and "mail148.atl221.rsgsv.net" and all other subdomains of that root (i.e., "<wildcard>.rsgsv.net").

More and more newsletters are being sent using this method (of varying the subdomain of the sender for each issue) and it is a real nuisance to have to manually ask each issue to display pictures. I am not so lazy that I am complaining about the extra clicks, I am complaining about the time that it takes when one is trying to skim through a bunch of emails.

If anyone can help me with this I will be most grateful.

TIA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 25, 2020 Views 10,132 Applies to: