How to Stop Windows, Word or File Explorer from Automatically Changing Filenames in Word 2016

SarahH_036 asked this two years ago, but noone gave an answer. 

When you "save as" a file in Word 16 to a new folder/directory (or save a new file for the first time), the program highlights whatever existing filename it lands on when you open that folder/directory.

So when I save a file to a new location, the computer will suggest a file name or change the file name automatically to an existing file name already in that location unless there is no previous file in that folder. The existing file name is highlighted although I didn't click on it. I didn't click anywhere. I just opened that folder with a plan to save, and it has already highlighted a random file in that directory.

It will then RENAME my new file with the name of that existing file - and if I'm not careful and miss the warning it will overwrite it.

How can I stop this? For a new file, it is not such a big deal, but for an existing file, sometimes I really need to keep the original name.

With a new file, what I want is for the first few words of the text in my new file to become the filename. Word/Windows/Explorer usually does this fine - except when this automatic filename change takes place (ie when there is an existing file in the folder that I want to save to.) Then it tries to rename it with the name of that existing file, whichever one it happens to highlight.

This happens if I go Save As and then choose one of the folders listed under Current Folder on the right. It doesn't always happen if I go "Browse", but that's a much more cumbersome procedure.  It doesn't always happen with all files that have long-established names, but it sometimes happens with them too if I'm Saving As to a new folder.

I'm using a Dell Latitude, It is not a touch screen. Using Word 16, Windows 10

Is there any way to fix this problem? Can I get Word to stop suggesting file names? Is there a way to keep the cursor from automatically highlighting something when I open a new folder with Save As?

Answer
Answer

Thank you so much for figuring this out.  I have had this issue as well (resulting in major issues and lost work) but I've only been seeing the problem since upgrading to Windows 10 and the latest version of Word.  I never had this issue with the older version of Word I was using.  

It is absurd that the coders would allow this kind of programming flaw.  We have been trained for YEARS to double click to open a folder in Windows, and here they decide to just arbitrarily change that rule?  This kind of thing makes it seem like coders of Word don't even use it.  This should be fixed, and it never should have been coded this way in the first place. 

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2024 Views 3,171 Applies to: