How to stop Office nagging about automatic updates?

I have Office Home and Student installed on my Mac. Recently it's started nagging me with a "Turn On Automatic Updates?" prompt: "Always install new features and updates for Microsoft apps". The only two options given are "Not Now" and "Turn On". If I click "Not Now", it keeps coming back.

I don't want automatic updates. How do I tell it "no, and stop asking"? I'm happy to be notified when updates are available but I don't want to automate acceptance.

Edit: I'm getting some replies that don't address the question I asked. Before answering, please ensure that you understand the following:

• I am not looking to turn automatic updates on. They are switched off and I want to keep it that way.
  • I am not looking to disable automatic checking for updates. If there's an update available, I want to be told that it's available. Then I will decide whether to install that update and when to install it.
  • Currently, I'm getting nagged every few minutes with a pop-up that asks me if I want to enable automatic updates. I want to stop getting this pop-up. That's all.

Question Info

Last updated December 10, 2019 Views 12,008 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

But you can completely turn of the Mac OS Notification for MAU and all will work just as you want it to. 

The nagging is sent by Notifications in the macOS and can be turned off in System Preferences-->Notifications as mentioned above. 

This has no effect at all on when and how Microsoft AutoUpdate works. I just ran MAU to test this. You can still choose "Automatically Check," which will ONLY check (not download and install) and then will alert you if there are updates. 

Disabling MAU in Notification Center has no effect on this. I disabled it and the nagging is no longer there. MAU provides its own pop-up notification WITHOUT triggering  macOS notification. 

Nagging gone. Microsoft Autoupdate still checking in the background, alerting only when new updates arise, and NOT installing them. Unless you choose to allow it to. 

Two different notification mechanisms. 

114 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

The settings regarding Microsoft AutoUpdate (AU) Office Notifications are in System Preferences > Notifications

I am an unpaid volunteer and do not work for Microsoft. "Independent Advisors" work for contractors hired by Microsoft. "Microsoft Agents" work for Microsoft Support.

96 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.