How to retrieve Onenote from a Mac Time Machine backup

My Mac crashed and I trying to access the onenote files i had from time machine backups. Dont know how to.... as you can appreciate have a lot of useful information in onenote. I didnt have it backed up to onedrive....
Answer
Answer

Hi T.Sanj,

Thanks for posting the question on our forum.

Notebooks can’t be saved on our Mac, it need to be stored on OneDrive.

When you edit the notebooks, it will automatically sync the content to OneDrive.

You needn’t to backup it manually.

About the Time Machine feature, as the notebook isn’t stored on Mac, Time Machine only backup the OneNote cache, it is in fact a copy of all opened notebooks but in a special binary and fragmented format for sync purposes only. It's not usable as a backup because you can't restore any information from it. 

Given the situation, I suggest you still check it via OneDrive, you can check if is there any other OneDrive account where you store the notebook.

If this is not your situation, you are welcome to post back and provide the detailed information, such as where did you store the notebook, personal OneDrive or OneDrive for Business?

Regards,

Qing

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2024 Views 608 Applies to: