How to remove language from a style (Word for Mac)

I'm writing a document using a template developed by a marketing agency that clearly doesn't understand cascading styles or proofing language management in Word. They have explicitly set the language for a number of styles to "English (UK)". While I have some reverence for my ancestral homeland, I'm Canadian, which means that I deal with documents mostly in "English (CAN)" and occasionally in "French (Canada)" (why Microsoft abbreviates the country for one language but not another is one of the great mysteries of life).

An example showing the "Hyperlink" style is below.

Rather than change the language in all the affected styles, I would like to remove it from them completely so that, if I change the language in a block of text or in the document as a whole, the style comes along for the ride when I apply it after the fact. I know how to remove other elements (e.g., if I want to remove "Italic" I just set the "Font style" attribute to blank in the "Font..." dialog), but for the life of me I can't find any magic key/mouse/sacrificial ungulate combination to remove the language. I've tried both Mac and Windows.

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Answer

Wow... this blew up.

Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to investigate and reply. It sounds like the Office team is now aware of the issue, so we can look forward to a fix in a (hopefully not too distant) future release. I'll take some time to read through the VBA code to see if I can adapt it to my use case.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2024 Views 469 Applies to: