How to recover word document lost during upload to OneDrive on Mac?

I was working on a word document on my mac and it was saving locally to my hard drive. I went to share it and it went to upload it to the cloud to allow me to share it with people. It seems to have not uploaded. I closed the local version of the document and it evaporated. When i go to location the local version was located it, it states, "Sorry, we couldn't find 'https://mysite.wellpoint.com/personal/XXXXXXXX/Documents/OnboardingGuide_XXXXXXX_2023-05-22.docx'. Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted?"

I have searched and followed all standard ways of looking for the file as well as looking in autorecovery but nothing appears anywhere.

How can I recover this file even if it is just the raw text? Does OneDrive keep a *temp file or something I can access?

HELP!@!@

Dear Drew_939399,

Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

As per your description, it seems that you have tried to upload file to cloud, however, it disappears both from cloud and local disk.

If the understanding above is right, generally, OneDrive have cloud backup in backend service for the files that have been uploaded to the cloud.

For your reference: How to recover missing, deleted or corrupted items in SharePoint and OneDrive for work or school - Microsoft Support

Given this, we'd recommend you navigate to OneDrive and search for the file to check if it appears in the result.

Please also check if any log available for this file in Restore your OneDrive - Microsoft Support as shown below.

If the file cannot be restored via the Recycle Bin or Files Restore, as mentioned in the official article, an administrator can contact Microsoft Support to request a restore any time inside the 14-day window. Restorations from backups can be completed only for site collections or sub-sites, not for specific files, lists, or libraries. Given this, we'd sincerely recommend you contact your Microsoft 365 administrator, follow the steps in this article to create a support ticket to contact Online Support. The support team over there has higher permission than us, they can remotely help check the situation on your side, involve more resources to help you check if this can be restored from backend. This would be a more efficient way in handling this case for you.

For reference: How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin?

At meantime, as you have mentioned that you are using a Mac, if you have created a backup of your Mac using Time Machine, you can enter Time Machine to restore specific files from that backup. For detail steps, see Use Time Machine to restore deleted files or older files. You may also contact Apple support for further help.

Third-party link disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites, or any support related to technology.

Hope the above can help! If our understanding of the scenario is not consistent with yours, please feel free to point it out.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding! We hope that you are keeping safe and well!

Sincerely,

Rhoda | Microsoft Community Moderator

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 463 Applies to: