How to reactivate two step verification on reinstalled iphone

Hello,

I have been using Microsoft Authenticator on my iPhone, as a two step verification method for logging into my Microsoft accounts, for about two years.

I have recently reinstalled the iPhone and tried to log in to Microsoft account, but the Authenticator is no longer working. The iPhone was reinstalled and restored using backup which included Authenticator  (see iCloud backup settings).

Here's what's happening:

1. When I open the Authenticator on the iPhone, it offers to recover the account, but when I click the BEGIN RECOVERY prompt, I only get the error message:

1. Alternatively, I wouldn't mind reactivating the Authenticator, but when I tap ENABLE 2-STEP VERIFICATION, I only get the screen - SCAN QR CODE - without further instruction, where should I go and what to do in order get to the QR code.

I tried to google for some solution, but couldn't find anything. Please how can I reactivate my Authenticator?

Answer
Answer

Hello MiroslavKarpaty,

According to your description, I understand that you can't recover your accounts to continue to use the Microsoft Authenticator. Based on my knowledge, we need to back up our account credentials in Microsoft Authenticator so that we can recover the account on a new device or a re-installed iPhone. Given your situation, there is a chance that you only use iCloud backup settings but didn't back up the account in Microsoft Authenticator. For more details, here is an article for your reference: Back up and recover account credentials using the Microsoft Authenticator app.

Because you are using Microsoft accounts, please check if there is a option "Other ways to sign in". If so, please click it and choose Use password > Sign in another way and send a verification code for verification. If you are able to sign in, you can set up Microsoft Authenticator again.

If you need more help with Microsoft Authenticator, since we are support team focusing on Microsoft 365 for Business subscription related problems, it is suggested that you post your problem in our Microsoft Q&A forum with microsoft-authenticator tag. In that forum, you will get more qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can share their knowledge with you.

We sincerely appreciate your understanding.

Regards,

Seven

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 319 Applies to: