How to Prevent Office 365 Automatic Login

Starting recently, when I go to my Office 365 login page using most current ie11, it logs me into my Office 365 without prompting me for my e-mail and password.  When I sign-out I get error: "Hmm... we're having trouble signing you out. You may still be signed in to some applications. Close your browser to finish signing out."  When I close my browser and login again, same result -- automatically logged in.

I do not want this behavior as I login to many different Office 365 accounts as an IT admin (and generally don't want autologin to online e-mail).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2507767/problems-when-signing-out-of-office-365--azure--or-intune-in-a-web-bro

I tried all five methods in above link.

I am certain my cache and cookies and clear.

I removed the credentials for my e-mail from windows crendentials.

I am on most recently-updated version of Win10 Pro.

I don't know where it is storing my password or how to stop this behavior.  I want it to prompt me for e-mail and login every time and I want it to sign-out without error.

Answer
Answer

Hi Pghcpa,

Firstly I’d like to explain that in one scenario users don’t have to enter accounts and passwords when they use IE to log in Office 365. The scenario is single sign on enabled for the tenant. User use one account to log in computer (in the same tenant domain) and Office 365. IE and Office apps will automatically sign in their work/school accounts. 

If you are not in this scenario, based on my understanding, the behavior is more related to IE and operating system. As you mentioned you need to log in with different accounts, we suggest you use private window and different browsers (e.g. Edge, Chrome, Firefox) to open them. It’s better than sign out the same browser window to log in another account as there might be cache/cookie issue when using the same browser window.

Moreover, you may start a new thread in our Internet Explorer>Internet Explorer 11>Windows 10 to get further support about the behavior “IE automatically log in the former account”. It’s the specific channel which handles IE related questions and issues.

Thanks for your understanding.

Tim  

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2020 Views 31,684 Applies to: