How to open "wmz" files; which are Excell spreadsheets; not movies??

my company has started to send out "wmz" files; which are Excell spreadsheets.  But when I try to open them; the movie picture pops up and does not open.

Help

Hello Helmut,

If it's possible, you can also send us a copy of a sample file. In this way, we can replicate the issue here on our end. You can share the file by uploading it on OneDrive. Then, get a link, and post it in your reply. If you want to share it privately due to personal information that might be included on the file, you can reply to the private message that we've sent. To view this, click your username or account name on the top right corner of this page. Then, click View private messages

Also, you may check this article for further information about the file formats that are supported in Excel. 

Please respond to this thread to let me know how the issue progresses. Similarly, if you have more questions, please inform me by replying to this post. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

WMZ is generally defined as a compressed image file type.  Most typically associated with skins for Windows Media Player, not Excel.

For now, don't try to open the file.

First thing to do is talk to the sender.  Send a new email, don't reply to the email in question. I suspect, just suspect, that this could be a hack. If it is a hack, then the sender did not actually send it. If they did not send it, then chances are very high that the file contains malware.

If the sender really did create and send the file:

1. ask them how they expect you to open it
  2. ask them how they created it (I'm curious <G> )
  3. ask them why they used EMF rather than other more common file formats

EMF is not a format that you can use in Excel to SAVE AS to. So they would have had to use an addin.

This is a very old answer to a similar question:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-do-i-open-it-emz-files/a4759966-8145-e011-9577-d485645a8348

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 6, 2024 Views 1,159 Applies to: