How to Merge 2 O365 mailboxes

Morning,

We have a user that has 2 different email addresses i.e. *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

The user wants all mail he receives into @domain1.com and @domain2.com to go into @domain2.com. The user would also like all mail/folders to be accessible from @domain1.com so user can search old mail etc.

I thought about making the @domain1.com an alias to @domain2.com, but the @domain1.com is already in use by an active user.

What is the best way to successfully keep all the users old mail and have all mail to @domain1.com and @domain2.com going into @domain2.com?

Hope it makes sense what we're trying to achieve, appreciate some help, thanks!

Answer
Answer

Hello RoseBJ,

Thanks for your post in Microsoft community. To better help you, we also use the same email addresses (i.e. first.last@domain1.com and first.last@domain2.com) in our suggestion. Please check it.

A. To keep all the users old mail :

Option 1: Give Full access delegate permission to other domain2 user and access domain1 user account from Outlook. For this you need to open first.last@domain1.com user account from Microsoft365 Exchange Admin center and give full access mailbox permission to user account first.last@domain2.com. Due to Auto-mapping feature, first.last@domain1.com mailbox reflect in user first.last@domain2.com Outlook. Note: Delegated account also access from Outlook Web app.

• To do so: login to Microsoft365 Admin center >  Exchange > Recipients > select your user account (i.e first.last@domain1.com) to edit his information > Click on Mailbox Delegation > click (+) icon under Full access and select other user account (i.e first.last@domain2.com) to add > click ok and then click on Save to change the effects.
  • Now due to auto-mapping features, when delegated user account  (i.efirst.last@domain2.com), open his Outlook, the other mailbox automatically added in his profile and he can check and access all mails.
  • You may refer this article for Accessing other people’s mailboxes in Office 365

Option 2: Use content search tool to back up entire mailbox data of user first.last@domain1.com. After a search is successfully run, you can export the search results to a local computer. When you export email results, they can be downloaded to your computer as PST files or as individual messages (.msg files). Then with import or open data file option in Outlook, add such back up .pst file in your user’s account first.last@domain2.com. Backup data reflects in same folder vise as it was in first.last@domain1.com.

B. Now for going all emails in to domain2.com, create/enable forwarding rules user vise.

• To do so: login to Microsoft365 Admin center >  Exchange > Recipients > select your user account (i.e first.last@domain1.com) to edit his information > go to Mailbox Features > Click on Mail flow, view details and Enable forwarding , then click on Browse tab and select your account to whom you wants to forward your email. (note: if you want to Deliver messages to both forwarding and address mailbox, please enable this option).
  • Article for your reference : Configure email forwarding

Thanks and regards,

Ankita Vaidya

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2024 Views 18,639 Applies to: