How to increase Character Limit for Multiline Text Field in SharePoint Online (Microsoft Lists)

Multiline Text Fields allow just 255 characters in Microsoft Lists/SharePoint Online Lists. In SharePoint Online Document Libraries there is a "allow unlimited length" option (Reference MSFT Community). This option does not exist in Microsoft Lists/SharePoint Online Lists.

Is it possible to allow more than 255 characters for multiline columns in Microsoft Lists as well?

How to achieve this? Is there a PowerShell cmdlt maybe?

Answer
Answer

Hi Philipp,

Refer to Multiple lines of text, A Multiple lines of text column can store up to 63,999 characters by default. There’s no settings you need to change to allow more than 255 characters. Based on my test, it also works well for Microsoft List.

The “allow unlimited length” option is only in library UI. That is because, only library needs it. Refer to SPFieldLookup.UnlimitedLengthInDocumentLibrary property:

1. Columns with long text are not supported by most applications for editing documents and could result in a loss of data.

2. Only allow unlimited length if users will be uploading documents through the Web site, and not saving directly from the application.

For example, based on my test:

1. If I enable “allow unlimited length” option in library, and if I have more than 255 characters in file property, my Excel files cannot be opened correctly with Excel desktop application.

2. If I disable “allow unlimited length”option in library, my Excel files can be opened correctly with Excel desktop application, however, if I have more than 255 characters in file property, I cannot save the file from Excel client app to SharePoint Online.

Please feel free to post back if you still need help.

Regards,

Rena

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Once complete conversation about this topic, kindly Mark and Vote any replies to benefit others reading this thread.

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 38,382 Applies to: