How to fully reset my OneDrive?

I'd like to reset my OneDrive account as if it was brand new account and contains the default folders.

Not just delete the files. Effectively a 'factory reset'.

The reason I ask is, I have realised that some of the default folders on a clean account have special properties. For example the pictures folder - in the OneDrive app you can select show in pictures folder only. This doesn't work for me, as at some point in the past I must have deleted it. Creating a folder just called 'Pictures' doesn't work, either. I've tested that. Won't work for me, but does work on a friend's fresh account. The original pictures folder must have some special properties that I don't know how to recreate. Therefore I assume an account reset is the easiest way to get the default folders back including special properties.

|

Hello JimOfTheJungle1003, Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft Community. My name is Raymond and I'm happy to help. Sorry for this inconvenience. However, unlike your devices, OneDrive has no factory reset to restore OneDrive to original state. Have you tried resetting your OneDrive and setting it up again? It may not restore deleted folders but you can sync to the new folders created? Please let me know if you need more assistance. Give back to the Community, Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below. Regards

Raymond K
Understand that I do not have access to any user's account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

"Resetting my OneDrive"

How?

Do you mean uninstalling and reinstalling?

If I do that on every device I have it on, then it won't alter the files in my OneDrive at all will it. I'll still have the same folders in the cloud.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jim, I am Sumit, and I will gladly assist you today. Welcome to the Microsoft Community. Do these three things which is equivalent of a Factory Reset of Onedrive: Restore the default paths: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-shell-folders-paths-defaults-restore/ Reset the sync client: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/reset-the-onedrive-sync-client/5d769421-db9e-4a59-a1e4-6701c03f651f I hope this helps. Content on the above blog is written by a Windows MVP, so it is safe. However, do watch out for the ads.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

PS The third one is Reinstalling the client :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 61 Applies to: