How to delete a Team without owner in Microsoft Teams on the free plan without O365?

Hi, in my work place I do work with Teams and I'm very satisfied with the product. Now I want to use it with my private account, too, since Microsoft offers a free plan and I'm also self-employed. However, I'm not owning an O365 subscription on my private LIVE account that I'm using in my free Team plan, so technically I'm not O365 admin of my organization.

This seems to cause an issue that Microsoft haven't thought of in the first place: 

- I invited a friend to my organization to test the features

- He created a Team, so he was owner and he invited me, so I was ONLY member of that Team in my own organization

- Later I removed him from my organization, assuming that I can manage the Team, since this is my organization

I was wrong. Now, I'm member of a Team without owner. I cannot delete the team (there is no option for that, since I'm not the owner) and I cannot leave the team (I get an error message, that a team needs at least one member). The free plan apparently also creates a SharePoint online instance, but there are no settings to manage Teams on SharePoint either. 

After searching a bit in the internet, I figured out that I need to access the O365 Admin Panel and delete the Office Group of the Team to get rid of the Team my friend created when he was part of my organization, but .... I cannot do it. When I try to login into the O365 Admin Panel I get the error message that the panel is only accessible using a work or school account, however I'm using teams with my private LIVE account.

I have two questions: 

1. How can I delete a Team in Microsoft Teams in the free plan when using a private non O365 LIVE account?
  2. How can I disable permissions that other members of my organization can create any Team?

If I cannot get rid of the Team by myself, I really seek help by any employee of Microsoft. Sorry for the inconvenience, but the product is just not fail-proof, apparently.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Martin

Answer
Answer

Hi Martin,

Welcome to post your concern in community and very appreciate that you have done many research before.

As you mentioned, compared to Teams premium, Teams for free does not have admin permission to manage teams.

Technically, there are two different type of "admin permissions": one is for an entire Office 365 tenant, the other is for personal account based on the personal Microsoft account. So, to manage Teams for free, we need to go our own personal Microsoft application manage center to take control. Please kindly follow steps below:

1) Go to myapps.microsoft.com.

2) Click your profile in the top-right corner.

3) Select  next to ORGANIZATIONS to take control on the organization level.

4) Now you can see the organizations you created and joined like the image blow:

Click "Leave organization", the system will display the related information of the target organization, after confirmed, you can leave the you created or joined organization.

5) For groups level management, go to "Group" in the page, or click profile > Groups. The you will be able to manage them in groups level, it will be like this:

As for the access to create teams for members in the invited organization in Teams, it's a default designed feature, we cannot take control for it nor manage teams other users created. But in our organization control, go to the groups management, we can view all the groups created in it and manage them.

If you have more question, just kindly let me know :)

Regards,

Shawn

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 24, 2020 Views 1,498 Applies to: