How to create a bookmark in SharePoint online

Hello, I want to create a bookmark (anchor) on a page so that I can link to it from another page. How would I do that with SharePoint online?

Hi JohnMahoney7470,

To enable the bookmark functionality, a SharePoint site admin need to activate the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature on the site collection level and the SharePoint Server Publishing feature on the site level.

After activating the two features, refer to the steps below to create a bookmark:

1. Create a page and input a section, for example, section1 in the page.

2. Edit the page and highlight the words section1.

3. Click Insert and then Link.

4. Click From Address.

5. Paste the URL of page1 in the Address box.

6. Type section1 in the Bookmark box.

7. Click Save.

Then you can use the link such as https://<SitePageURL>#section1 to access this bookmark.

Thanks,

Cliff

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried your suggestion but found that after activating this feature people who had shared files or folders in OneDrive could no longer access the files, they needed access to the top level folder in order to see or access shared files. Seems that when you turn on Publishing you turn on Limited Access User Permissions Lockdown which negates folder level sharing. This is a bit disappointing as for our organization this feature in OneDrive has been truly helpful. So I guess no bookmarking in SharePoint online!

I also notice that my OneDrive for business local drive shows folders without content.

I see the folders with nothing in them. My understanding is that if I save a file in OneDrive it syncs and uploads to OneDrive in 365, so does it remove the file from the local drive?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JohnMahoney7470,

You are right. If you enable the Publishing feature, Limited Access User Permissions Lockdown will be enabled. So if you want to create a bookmark, you will only be able to share files in a specified folder.

For more details,please refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3039997

OneDrive for Business is a personal library in My site, so it has no relationship with Limited Access User Permissions Lockdown.

For the issue” I also notice that my OneDrive for business local drive shows folders without content.”, please help confirm the points below:

1. When did you encounter the issue? Can you reproduce it? If so, please provide us with some detailed screenshots about what you encountered for our troubleshooting.

To upload a screenshot, please click Use rich formatting and Edit/Insert Media.

2. If you haven’t found files in the folder after syncing, please try the following steps and let us know the outcome.

a. Create a new folder and some files in it in the OneDrive for Business library, and then check if it can be synced.

b. Sync the other folders in other SharePoint sites for testing.

3. If you can sync folders, please make sure if the SharePoint site admin in your company has entered your OneDrive for Business library.

Note: the SharePoint site admin can enter users’ OneDrive for Business to delete users’ files via the following steps:

1)Click user profiles in the SharePoint admin center.

2)Click Manage User Profiles.

3)Type User’s account in the company.

4)Click Find to find the user’s profile.

5)Click the item menu and Manage site collection owners.

6)The admin can type his own account in the Site Collection Administrators box to enter user’s OneDrive for Business.

Additionally, what do you mean by saying” people who had shared files or folders in OneDrive could no longer access the files, they needed access to the top level folder in order to see or access shared files. “?

Please make sure if you can enter the shared folders in your OneDrive for Business library. If you can reproduce it, please also provide us with some corresponding screenshots.

Thanks,

Cliff

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JohnMahoney7470,

If the OneDrive for Business issue persists, I suggest you post a new thread with the information I have mentioned above because it does not correlate with the publishing features.

Thanks,

Cliff

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 26, 2021 Views 16,971 Applies to: