How does retention get applied to a OneNote Notebook

We have a 3 year retention sweep (based on last modified date of a file) that we've put in our SharePoint Online environment. However we have a number of users worried about how and when their OneNote notebooks will be swept.

Per the following post I found that retention looks at the overall OneNote package instead of individual sections that make up the Notebook when hosted in SharePoint Online.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/onenote-records-retention-policy/1a62bbb6-92de-41a1-af0a-3e17a6f5c49f

However there is concern from our end-users about when their Notebook would get swept, as the overall notebook file (or package of files) represented on SharePoint online does not seem to update it's modified date even though updates have been made within the overall notebook. I'm going to attach a couple images to show what I mean.

Based on this, my questions would be two-fold: 

1. What date does a SharePoint retention sweep use when it evaluates whether to sweep a whole Notebook? 

2. If it uses the base modified date of the Notebook package, how does that date continue to update to keep it all from being swept? 

[PII is masked by Gloria Li MSFT Support]   

Answer
Answer

@jonathan- We have been testing this extensively over the last month and found that your SME might not have been entirely accurate, unless our tenant is different than others.  We found that the the OneNote notebook acts as a folder for .one and .onetoc2 files.  .one files are the sections you see in your notebook and the .onetoc2 files are a table of contents that holds the colors of sections and the order of sections and pages in the Notebook.  

The retention policy runs based on the last modified date of the .one and .onetoc2 files, not the notebook date you see.  For the last month I have been running 3 tests on a notebook:

1. I create a new section every day and then never edit that section again.
  2. In a different section, I create a new page every day.
  3. In a third section, I edit the same page every day

In #1 above the entire section is deleted after the retention period has been met.  In #2 and #3 the sections and all of their pages remain in tact as long as they don't meet the retention period before anything within that section is edited again.  

As far as the .onetoc2 file is concerned, I've only see that deleted when the last section is deleted from the notebook.  If that file is deleted and a user wants to restore the section(s) that were deleted with it, it should also be restored, otherwise I seem to get some funky behavior with section names and orders.  

In all cases the notebook (which acts as a folder) remains indefinitely, which is what your SME might have seen. But if you open that notebook the sections may have been deleted.  

Final note: you can see the .one and onetoc2 files via powershell.  We wrote a powershell script to review all of the files in OneDrive so we know the extent of the deletion that will occur when we turn the policy on.  

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 3,380 Applies to: