How does Office 365 work with local or server files?

I want my staff to be able to use office suite products.  I've decided to not install the office suite but to use only the web version.  The issue is ...how does a user open a server or local office file in 365 cloud?  

The user goes to their network mapped drive --> navigates to a word document --> double-click to open --> where does it open?

Answer
Answer

Hi Seth,

First answer your second question, the result is document will be opened with Word desktop application if it's installed. If there is no Office suite installed, system will ask you to use which app open it.

Let's return to your first question. Actually, Office Online is used to open files stored in cloud like OneDrive, OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online. It cannot be used to open local files (Windows, Windows server, network drive). Another scenario is to use Office web apps to open files stored in on-premises SharePoint server, to learn more, see Start using Office Web Apps in SharePoint 2010.

So, if the file is stored in Windows 7, 8, 10 or Windows server local drive or mapped network drive, we need to use Office desktop apps to open them. If the file is stored in SharePoint Online, OneDrive, we could use Office Online apps to open them.

Moreover, as some operations and functions can only be performed with Office desktop apps, if your tenant has licenses for Office desktop apps, we suggest you install Office suite for users. So, they could work with both Office Online and Office desktop according to different situations.

Best regards,

Tim

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2024 Views 1,920 Applies to: