How do I unfreeze my OneDrive? "Something went wrong"

I have an Outlook account that I mainly use for professional purposes, receive newsletters, subscriptions, etc. And very rarely use the OneDrive linked to it as I use my personal one.

I have just tried to get into my OneDrive and it says it's frozen.

1. Clicked on "Unfreeze your account"

2. Got a pop-up window with a warning that reads: "Are you sure? We'll unfreeze your files for 30 days. If you don't get more storage or delete excess files within 30 days, your OneDrive will be frozen again. Type I understand below: "

3. Typed: "I understand" on the relevant field.

4. Clicked on "Start unfreeze"

5. Got a message in red letters: "Something went wrong"

NOTE: I'm trying to upload the screenshot from the error in PNG or JPEG files and also getting "Something went wrong" and "File(s) failed to upload" messages.....

Please help

|

Hello! MFernandaR

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community

I understand that you’re facing an issue with unfreezing your OneDrive. Allow me to ask:

• Can you still sign in with your account in https://account.microsoft.com/ or https://onedrive.live.com/ ?

• Have you tried using another device or browser or network?

• Have you tried clearing the cache and cookies in your browser?

• Have you renewed your Microsoft 365 basic plan for 100GB storage for OneDrive (If you have this plan)?

Let’s troubleshoot this together! Here are some steps you can try to resolve the problem:

1. Clear Browser Cache and Cookies: Sometimes cached data or cookies can cause issues. Try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies, then attempt to unfreeze your account again. If you’re using Microsoft Edge, follow these steps:

• Click on the three horizontal dots in the top-right corner.

• Go to Settings > Privacy, search, and services.

• Under Clear browsing data, select Choose what to clear.

• Check the boxes for Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files, then click Clear.

• Restart your browser and try unfreezing your OneDrive again.

2. Try a Different Browser or Device: Sometimes the issue may be specific to your current browser or device. Try accessing your OneDrive using a different browser (such as Chrome or Firefox) or a different device (like a smartphone or tablet). This can help determine if the problem is related to your setup.

3. Check Your Storage Quota: OneDrive accounts can freeze if you exceed your storage allowance. Consider increasing your storage quota by purchasing a subscription plan. Microsoft 365 Basic Plan & Pricing (Includes OneDrive 100gb Storage, Outlook) - Microsoft Store Once you’ve increased your storage, your frozen account should unfreeze.

Remember, your files are still there—they’re just temporarily inaccessible due to the account freeze. Let’s get your OneDrive back up and running! 

Thank you,

Vince

Microsoft Community Moderator

Microsoft Community Forum Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello MFernandaR

We haven't heard from you, so we assume that your issue has already been addressed. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question (microsoft.com)

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Vince

Microsoft Community Forum Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, support. I also got the same situation. Would you get a help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue. I have done what you've suggested (clearing history, using another device, etc.) and it didn't work. It continues to state "something went wrong." I have deleted my files and it states that I've only used .1GB of storage but I still can't unfreeze. I find it unnecessary to buy additional storage I've cleared out my storage.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I went and purchased a onedrive subscription in hope it would sort this issue out. It didn't

Same error message on multiple computers now. No idea how to resolve it. Also no idea how to contact microsoft and ask for a refund. I dont have anything on onedrive, but I wanted to open a shared notebook.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 3, 2024 Views 682 Applies to: