How do I move a OneNote notebook to a different OneDrive account?

I have been using OneNote for many years and have both a Personal and a Work notebook stored in my personal OneDrive account. I now have a OneDrive account through my employer and I would like to move my Work notebook to that account. I access OneNote through a browser using Office 365.

I tried downloading the Work notebook from my personal OneDrive account which created a .zip file. Uploading the .zip file to my work OneDrive account wasn't useful as OneDrive saw it as a .zip file, not a notebook. I then unzipped the file on my PC which created a Work folder with the OneNote files inside it. When I uploaded that OneDrive sees it as a folder named Work, not a notebook.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mark Noll (nollmr):

Based on your description, we understand that you want to moved a OneNote Notebook to OneDrive with different account.  Moving an existing OneNote notebook into a folder synced by the OneDrive app without going through OneNote is not currently supported.

However, we recommend you moving an existing OneNote notebook into a folder synced by the OneDrive app withgoing through OneNote:

1. In OneNote 2016 or OneNote 2013, open the notebook that you want to share on OneDrive.

2. Select File > Share.

1. Select a location for your notebook, or select Add a Place, and then sign into your OneDrive account. If you don’t already have one, you can sign up for free.

2. Enter a name for your notebook (if you like, you can keep the name it already has), and then select Move Notebook.

3. After you see the location in the list, select it.

OneNote moves the notebook from your computer to OneDrive, and confirms the move with the message: “Your notebook is now syncing to the new location.”

More information for you to reference:Move a OneNote notebook to OneDrive - Office Support (microsoft.com)

Hope this will hlep you.

Tin

•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I appreciate the reply but it does not address the issue I have. My only access to the OneNote application is through a browser using Office 365. When I select File > Share my only option is Share with People.

Office 2019 has been installed locally on my Windows PC, but OneNote was not part of our installation and our PC manager said it could not be added. I tried to download and install the OneNote desktop app, but it said I must uninstall Office 2019 which I'm obviously not going to do.

If I understand the situation, OneNote files cannot be moved outside of the application (that's disappointing). I will therefore need to find a PC that I can install the desktop app version of OneNote. I will then connect to my personal OneDrive account and open the notebook. I should then be able to also connect to my work OneDrive account, and then I will be able to move the notebook. Is that correct?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mark Noll (nollmr):

Thank you for your reply.

Office 2019 is different from Microsoft 365 Apps or Office 365 Business. However, if you want to enable your work account to open the personal account notebook, you can try to share the notebook to your work account. At the same time I think your method is feasible.

Best regards,

Tin

•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 14, 2024 Views 4,031 Applies to: