How do I edit connector lines in smart org chart?

Hi helpers,

I have created a simple org chart in a Word document. It has been a learning curve to figure out how to style it so that it looks the way I want it to. But I finally got it almost all the way there. 

The piece I can't yet resolve is how to edit the height of the connector lines. The default in smart art format is for the lines that connect the top level to the next level down to be very short, so the second level is almost hugged up against the top level. I would like to add some more breathing space between the two levels by lengthening the lines. But I can't figure out how to do it.

Can you help?

Thanks!
Pam
Answer
Answer
It will not be easy. You can move the objects (not the connectors) in a limited way by selecting the shape and pressing the arrow keys. Pressing Control + Arrow will give you a finer position adjustment, particularly if you zoom in.

After moving the shapes, you will likely find that connectors don't align properly, but they cannot be moved. You'll have to actually hide the misplaced connectors and add new ones. To hide them, do Control-click (or Right-click) on the connector, choose Format Shape > Line and change the line color to "No fill."

When adding new connectors, it will help if you set the Ribbon's Format > Grid align option to "To other objects."

Make sure any new objects you place over the chart allow overlapping. For this, Control-click (or Right-click) on the new object, choose Format object > Layout > In front of text, then click on the Advanced button and place a checkmark on Allow overlap.

This thread will complement the above instructions: I am trying to create a flowchart using the hierarchy option in SmartArt.

Si mi respuesta te ha servido, márcala como solución o como útil.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 24,209 Applies to: