How do I delete boxes around text?

How do I delete boxes around text?  I copied and pasted text from an online site and the boxes appeared in the Word document.  I just want the text to appear as a full document, not broken up into boxes with lines around them.  
Answer
Answer
It sounds as if you have copied a website "table".  Most websites are created as tables because it's easier than doing it properly.

You need to turn on a couple of things so you can see what you are doing...

Go to the Standard toolbar and click the ¶ button to show your non-printing characters.  And go to the Table menu and check "Gridlines".  If the problem is a table, you should now see lines where the cell borders are, and "stars" at the end of each cell and row.

Select the table, and go to Table>Convert>Table to text.

That will remove the table and lay the text out for you as normal paragraphs.  Watch it: sometimes the sequence of the text is not exactly what you expected.  Sometimes you need to move the cells from one column to the top or bottom of another before converting, to have the text come out in the right order.

When copying from web pages, it pays to use Edit>Paste Special>Unformatted text.  That strips out all the strange formatting leaving you with only the characters, which you can then format the way you want them.

Hope this helps
John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 8,794 Applies to: