How can I transfer a MS project from the web to the desktop app?

I've created a project on the online version, but I would like to continue working on it from the desktop app, as it has more functionalities. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a way to do so. Every time I create a new project, a new SharePoint site is automatically generated. However, I don't know the location of the site, so I'm unable to open it on the desktop app.

|

Dear Catherine,

Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft community. We are delighted to offer our assistance.

Please try the following steps and see if you could open the project in the desktop application:

1. Open the project in the web version of Microsoft Project.

2. Click on the “File” tab in the top left corner.

3. Click on “Save As” and then select “Sync with SharePoint.”

4. Follow the prompts to save the project to a SharePoint site.

5. Open the desktop version of Microsoft Project.

6. Click on the “File” tab in the top left corner.

7. Click on “Open” and then select “Other Web Locations.”

8. Navigate to the SharePoint site where you saved the project and open it from there.

Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Sean | Microsoft Community Moderator

-----------
*Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Catherine_0000 --

What is unclear to me is what you mean by "the online version." Are you referring to the new Project for the Web (the ULR for this includes project.microsoft.com)? Or are you referring to Project Web App (nicknamed PWA), which is the web-based user interface for Project Online and Project Server?

When you stated, "Every time I create a new project, a new SharePoint site is automatically generated", this sounds like you are creating projects using the Project Center interface in Project Web App. And if I am right, you now want to open and edit those projects in Microsoft Project Professional. If I am right about things so far, then watch the following YouTube video and then perform these actions in your own copy of Microsoft Project:

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 777 Applies to: