How can I link my perpetual Office license to my Microsoft account?

Just this week I purchased a key for Microsoft Office Professional 2021 from a third party website. Upon following the steps and inputting the key, I’ve noticed it isn’t connected to my Microsoft account.

Could you let me know the steps I could take to ensure it is connected, as I’d like to have more security with my ownership of the software.

Thank you!

Hello Zac, I'm Ibhadighi and I'd happily help you with your question. In this forum, we are Microsoft consumers just like yourself. To link your Microsoft Office Professional 2021 perpetual license to your Microsoft account, you should redeem your product key and install Office from your Microsoft account. Here's how you can do this: 1. **Redeem Your Product Key**: - Go to office.com/setup or to the Microsoft redemption page provided with your purchase. - Sign in with your Microsoft account, or create one if you don't have one. Make sure it’s the account you want to associate with your Office license. - Enter the product key provided by the third-party website. It’s usually a 25-character alphanumeric code. - Follow the prompts to redeem your product key. 2. **Install Office**: - After redeeming your product key, you might be directed to a page with a link to install Office. Click 'Install Office' to download the Office setup file. - Run the Office setup file and follow the instructions to install Office on your computer. - Once installed, open any Office application, such as Word or Excel. - Go through the initial setup prompts and when asked, sign in with the same Microsoft account you used to redeem your product key. 3. **Verify the Installation**: - After the installation, you can verify that your Office is linked to your Microsoft account by going to your Microsoft account page. - Log in and go to the Services & subscriptions tab. - You should see Office Professional 2021 listed there, indicating that the product key has been successfully linked to your account. Please keep in mind that if the product key has already been used or is not legitimate, you might not be able to link it to your Microsoft account. Always be cautious when purchasing software keys from third-party websites, as some may sell unauthorized or counterfeit keys. I hope this helps. Best Regards, Ibhadighi

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the response! I have input the code already, as to its legitimacy I’m not sure. Is there absolutely no way to add it to my account after inputting the key? If not it really does put doubt to why I even purchased it at all.

I spoke to Microsoft Support and they explained that I could ask for a licensing contract from the third party in order to do it. Is that correct? I also emailed the provider and they claimed they could not provide it to me, should I be doubting their legitimacy in this case?

Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Zac, Thank you for letting me know. If you've already used the key and the software is working, but it isn't showing up in your Microsoft account, and the seller cannot provide a licensing contract, you should be cautious about the legitimacy of your Office license. There is no standard way to add a perpetual Office license to your Microsoft account after you've entered the key. However, the activation of the software itself is separate from adding it to a Microsoft account. If the software is activated, it may indeed be legitimate, but it will not necessarily be listed in your Microsoft account like a Microsoft 365 subscription would be. If you are in doubt about the legitimacy of the license: 1. Contact Microsoft Support again to express your concerns, please remember that I am user just like you and therefore do not have access to Microsoft's database. 2. Keep all correspondence with the seller and any proof of purchase. 3. If it turns out to be illegitimate, consider disputing the charge with your payment provider. Genuine licenses typically come with a proof of purchase and don't require a licensing contract for individual users. If you can't get such proof from the seller, the legitimacy is indeed questionable. I hope this helps, Thank you, Ibhadighi

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just this week I purchased a key for Microsoft Office Professional 2021 from a third party website. Upon following the steps and inputting the key, I’ve noticed it isn’t connected to my Microsoft account.

Could you let me know the steps I could take to ensure it is connected, as I’d like to have more security with my ownership of the software.

Thank you!

Hi Zac, sorry to tell you that Office Professional Plus 2021 is sold on the internet in contravention of the Microsoft licence. Microsoft do not sell Office Professional Plus 2021. It is a volume based licence. Some, do have a Microsoft Account and some do not.

Microsoft Office Professional 2021
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013
Microsoft Office Professional 2003
Windows 10 Professional
HP ProBook 470 G4

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you both! I will speak to Microsoft about this again and may contest the purchase if necessary.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Zac, be assured Microsoft does not sell Office Professional Plus 2021. It does sell Office Professional 2021 (no plus). Same number of Apps ad Pro Plus. See the price: Buy Microsoft Office Professional 2021 – Download Key & Pricing How much did you pay. The old adage 'if it seems to good to be true, it probably is'. And paying 30/40 £ or $ for something Microsoft sells for £400/$400 sounds to good to be true to me. In any case as I have said above Microsoft does not sell Pro Plus Office 2021. And Microsoft has never sold any version of Pro Plus Office on a retail basis to members of the Public.

Microsoft Office Professional 2021
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013
Microsoft Office Professional 2003
Windows 10 Professional
HP ProBook 470 G4

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for letting me know Zac, Best regards, Ibhadighi

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 699 Applies to: