How can I Deactivate Microsoft Office on an old pc to install on a new computer

I currently have my microsoft office 2007 installed on the 3 allowable computers but one of these computers is not working well and needs to be replaced. I expect that before i can install office on a new computer i need to deactivate it on the computer that I will abandon but i don't know how. Can you help?
Answer
Answer
Cody is right. There is no formal process for "deactivation".

To transfer an installation, you are required by the terms of the license to make sure that it is unusable on the old machine. That means either you uninstall it from the old machine or make sure the old machine is unusable (ie it is dead).  But, the thing is, the activation system does NOT track uninstalls.

To complete the transfer to the new machine, install and activate Office.  If internet activation doesn't work (Too many installations), you have to do a phone activation.

When you call in, don't enter any info (you already know it doesn't work), just wait (a long time) until you are offered the option of talking to a "service" rep. Explain that you have uninstalled from the old computer and are transferring to a new one. They should re-enable your product key to complete the activation.

Uninstall Office 2007 - 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/  

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi Bill,

No need to deactivate the software. Simply uninstall it from the existing machine and reinstall it on the new machine. The activation servers should take care of the rest.

If you need help uninstalling Office 2007, have a look at the following link:
Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 5, 2023 Views 13,525 Applies to: