How can I build a shareable database with Microsoft 365?

EDIT: I've added more details at the bottom, to answer the various questions that people have asked.

I currently have an MS Access database which I use to keep track of my organisation's devices (laptops etc). I have it stored locally on my own laptop, as I've been the only one who's updating it.

However, now I'd like to open it up to other colleagues; as they're not familiar with how it works, I'd like to have a sort of 'front end' to make it easier. Essentially this would involve a couple of forms that they can complete (for instance, when a new device is purchased, someone should be able to go to the form and add the device details, and that should add the device to the database) and reports which can be viewed (e.g. they may want to see all the devices which are currently available to be issued to people).

Obviously this will first of all need the database to go online; secondly, I'll need somewhere to host the forms and reports. We currently use SharePoint, so I was hoping to have the forms and reports on there. I've been looking online, and I can't figure out the best way to do this - there seem to be a lot of options out there, and don't know what the current best practice is. I've seen Dataverse mentioned, but I don't know whether I have access to that - I can't see it anywhere. I've also seen articles which mention Power Apps and Visual Basic and various other things. I just don't really know where to start with putting it all together.

Can anyone advise me on the current best approach for this?

EDIT - ADDITIONAL DETAILS:

Our offices are spread across the world, and some people work from home, but we have a central server which is sitting behind a VPN. Everyone is able to sign in to this server, but it's a bit of a process, so I'd probably rather avoid people having to connect directly to it.

We do use SharePoint, and I think the ideal thing would be to have a couple of SharePoint pages: one where there are a couple of forms - add a new device, reallocate a device to a different user etc; the second which shows the list of devices and can be sorted by things like device status (e.g. find the ones that are ready to be reissued), current owner etc (we quite often have the situation where someone sends a message to say that their laptop is playing up, and we need to look through the spreadsheet to find the details, check the warranty etc).

I've thought about using Forms with Power Automate, but I can't see a way for PA to write to an Access DB; also I'm not sure how I would then get reports.

I don't have a Power Apps subscription, so would rather avoid that.

The others who'll be using it are generally reasonably techy, but it needs to be straightforward and quick, because people tend not to have a lot of time (it's not really anyone's main job to manage the devices, so they tend to be doing it in a rush when they have 5 minutes to spare.

Our current solution is an Excel spreadsheet, but it's quite limited in terms of storing things like details of previous users, repairs and modifications etc.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Are those colleagues on the same Local Area Network (LAN)?

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP
Phoenix, AZ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Staying with Access is most likely a good option, if the answer to Tom's question is "yes".

Access is unique among application development tools in that it includes tables for storing records, forms and reports for users to interact with that data, and VBA for coding automation of the interface and data. You need nothing else, although you can certainly extend beyond the basics.

If the answer to Tom's question is "no", we can explore other options. I am somewhat unique among Access developers in that I've worked quite a bit with PowerApps. I think the application you describe probably fits within the scope of projects well suited to PowerApps, provided that option is available to you. Licensing costs for PowerApps is going to be the main hurdle I think. Unlike Access applications, which can be freely distributed with the Access runtime, each PowerApps user pays a monthly license cost. Otherwise, I think it's a great extension for a central Access relational database to mobile or remote users.

Tell us more about the situation, please.

With Joy Wend Your Way

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Obviously this will first of all need the database to go online

I would prefer web browser as client and .accdb as backend.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not necessarily - most of them will be, but not all. There's a server that everyone has access to, so that could maybe be an option?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply. I don't have a PowerApps license, and I don't think I'd be able to get one as this isn't really a priority, but I can ask. Would I need a license for each person who wanted to access the app (even just to view the reports)?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

PowerApps is available in Microsoft 365 accounts. You'd have to explore what is available to you in that environment if you have an MS 365 account.

Yes, so far as I know, each user has to have a PA license.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bPlbJ_hwog

It's a PITA, because in situations where some of your users are remote, they provide a rather straightforward way to put the interface on a mobile device (smart phone or tablet) or in the browser on a PC. Where you indicate that some of your users are on a LAN, but not all, that's the sweet spot for this hybrid approach.

There are, no doubt, very good ways to accomplish your goal, though, without going in that direction.

With Joy Wend Your Way

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not necessarily - most of them will be, but not all. There's a server that everyone has access to, so that could maybe be an option?

What type of access do all have to this server?

Access works best when used over a LAN. The back end (tables) are stored on a shared network drive with the front ends (everything ese) stored on the user's local PC. Any other configuration involves jumping through some hoops.

Hope this helps,
Scott<>
Blog: http://scottgem.wordpress.com
Microsoft Access MVP since 2007

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If everyone has access to SharePoint, then I would probably migrate the Access database to SharePoint and use MS Forms as a front end.

Just my 2 cents...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If only collect information,Ms Forms is a good tools to generate online form.

But as to rights assignment and generate summary report,Ms Forms is not very flex and powerful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If only collect information,Ms Forms is a good tools to generate online form.

But as to rights assignment and generate summary report,Ms Forms is not very flex and powerful.

Understood, but the OP mentioned having the users only adding devices, so I thought using forms would be simpler for them.

Just my 2 cents...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2024 Views 186 Applies to: