Has Anyone Had Their Desktop Folders and Icons Disappear after Windows Update and then totally disappear from the OneDrive Desktop Folder?

Most of my desktop icons and all of my folders disappeared from my Win 11 desktop after a recent update. MS Agents and OneDrive agents have been useless as tits on a boar hog in helping - they swore the problem was because my OneDrive was out of storage and items would resync after I purchased more storage. Wrong...I purchased the storage and they didnt' reappear. Then OneDrive agent had me try a bunch of things like drilling down into my personal vault and nothing there, and now even the OneDrive Agents won't respond.

I don't seem to be missing any other files except the Desktop folder but it had some items I need to recover. My question is whether I should try third party software like EaseUs recovery or even go back and try to rerun PCMover for only the desktop file.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated...I am totally frustrated with **** right now...

|

What update do you refer to, O365 updates internally and as such is not part of any Win update.

Are you able to access OneDrive web access to sheck the status there?

The OneDrive folder in file explorer is basically a chache of the OneDrive cloud data No third party software can recover that cache.

In any Office component > Help > Contact Support, support is on-line

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Online support was totally worthless and in fact referred me out to ask questions in the community!!!

All I know is that I was working on my laptop when I received notification that an update needed to be processed so I closed what I was working on and let the computer do the update. When it finished and restarted my desktop was a mess with most of my icons missing and all of the folders on the desktop were gone.

Hopped on chat with both HP Tech Support who referred me back to MS Support. First agent told me it was because OneDrive was out of storage space and to purchase it and my stuff should reappear (which it did NOT)...back on chat and second agent wouldn't even touch it and referred me out to "specialized" OneDrive team. OneDrive responded with suggestions

Opeyemi (Microsoft)

Sunday, March 19, 2023 12:21 AM GMT

Hello Kathy,

We sincerely apologise for any inconveniences you are experiencing with OneDrive.

We can begin an investigation into your missing files, please follow the steps below and give us your consent. (please do not mind the repeated steps, please follow all again)

Search for your files on OneDrive.com  and restore all files in the Recycle bin 

Open your browser and go to https://www.onedrive.com  

1. If you are not already signed in, please enter your username and password, and sign in 

1. Use the Search everything feature to look for your files 

1. On the left side of the page, click Recycle bin 

1. Click Restore all items at the top of the page 

Check for files in your Personal Vault 

Files from your Personal Vault don’t show up in your search results. To check your Personal Vault, navigate to the root of your OneDrive and click on Personal Vault and unlock it by verifying your identity. Once inside, you’ll want to look for your missing file.  

Search for your files on another Microsoft account  
It might be that you are not logged in to the correct Microsoft account, and your files are safely on another OneDrive. Are there any other accounts you might have used to log into OneDrive? For example, you might have used the account you use to log in to Xbox Live, Outlook.com  or even Gmail.com . Please try to remember if you have logged in with a different account in the past. More suggestions here:https://support.office.com/article/0d929e0d-8682-4295-982b-4bd75a3daa01   

Files not found via search or in the OneDrive Recycle bin usually cannot be retrieved. To have someone from support investigate, please provide the following information.  

• The names of the files or folders you are trying to find. If the files are photos/videos, tell us the date you took them.  
• Approximately when you last accessed the files, and on which device (e.g. PC, Android, iPhone)  
• Consent that we can search your file history for you  

Thank you for your patience and we are looking forward to a response from you. 

Best Regards

Opeyemi

Followed all of these and still nothing. So my question is now whether or not to try one of these options to at least get some of my desktop back:

1. Try to copy Desktop files on thumb/flash drive and from my old laptop (only been using current laptop for 10 months). Won't get everything back but most things.

2. Try a third party recovery software like EaseUs Recovery

or

3. Try to re-run PC Mover and only get the Desktop folders if I can.

None of my other files seem to be missing or damaged only my Desktop. I definitely don't have any other accounts or temporary accounts that would have interfered like this. It's very inexplicable.

Have replied and asked for assistance from this OneDrive specialized team three times this weekend with zero response and all the regular chat agents can do is refer me back to them for further assistance. One big runaround...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to the Desktop folder in the OneDrive folder located at C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop. Are there any files in that Desktop folder?

Then go to the Desktop folder that is not in OneDrive at C:\Users\username\Desktop and check.

If you want your Desktop backed up to OneDrive then make sure the sync is turned on at OneDrive Settings > Sync and backup > Manage backup.

When the Desktop sync is ON your screen shows this location -> C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop.

When the sync is OFF your screen shows this location -> C:\Users\username\Desktop.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally quasi-fixed my problem today by pulling out my old laptop which still had most of the folders/photos/icons I'm using on my new laptop and copied those over on the OneDrive on the old laptop and it created a backup copy of my Desktop which I then reinstalled on my new laptop. I'm obviously missing some photos and a few icons in the 6 or so months with the newer laptop but I can live with it.

My question now is how in the heck to completely get myself disentangled from having anything backup whatsoever to OneDrive, especially my Desktop. I kept getting these error messages about how things coming off the Desktop from being deleted are gone forever.

I'm completely migrating over to Google Drive and Google Photos and want absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft if I can possibly help it.

If someone can provide me step by step instruction as to how to only have my Desktop stored locally on my laptop and not OneDrive it would be much appreciated!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to the OneDrive cloud icon on the taskbar > Settings > Sync and backup > Manage backup and turn off the syncing of the Desktop folder and the other folders if you wish.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks! I had this same problem!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks! I had this same problem!

You're welcome!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply. We had some other problems with the cooling system on that computer and returned it. The next computer we did not have that problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Most of my desktop icons and all of my folders disappeared from my Win 11 desktop after a recent update. MS Agents and OneDrive agents have been useless as tits on a boar hog in helping - they swore the problem was because my OneDrive was out of storage and items would resync after I purchased more storage. Wrong...I purchased the storage and they didnt' reappear. Then OneDrive agent had me try a bunch of things like drilling down into my personal vault and nothing there, and now even the OneDrive Agents won't respond.

I don't seem to be missing any other files except the Desktop folder but it had some items I need to recover. My question is whether I should try third party software like EaseUs recovery or even go back and try to rerun PCMover for only the desktop file.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated...I am totally frustrated with **** right now...

I have what seems like exactly the same problem. About half of my desktop shortcut icons disappeared for seemingly no reason. I am still digging into this so not sure yet how to resolve it. I don't think at this point that I have actually lost anything because mostly I can see missing files when I look at the OneDrive website.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I fixed it after deleting a file in registry editor, a file I created a while ago to remove shortcut arrow icons for a cleaner desktop. Here's the video tutorial: Remove Arrows from Desktop Shortcut Icons | Windows 10 & 11 - YouTube

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 1,214 Applies to: