Formulas disappearing when Excel Spreadsheet

Hello!

I'm checking on an issue some of my employees are experiencing. They are each using Windows 7 and either Office 2003 or Office 2010, depending on the machine (we've experienced this between three different computers). We have an excel spreadsheet that we use for basic cost calculation that includes formulas, typically very basic ones like =A1*A2, where A1 is a quantity and A2 is a cost, both of which are hand entered.

Our problem is happening when the file is emailed then opened. Formulas are disappearing either in full or in part (replacing all calculated values with a formula in the cell to just values). In a few cases, several cells that had been recently modified changed from formulas (like that listed above) into the calculated value. Today, we had an entire spreadsheet turn from formulas into calculated values.

This is a totally new issue- we've been sending and receiving versions of this spreadsheet for over a decade without these issues.

Some of the files affected were sent as .xls and opened in compatibility mode (the ones only replaced in part), and the one replaced in full was sent in .xlsx.

I've tried some different options (editing from the temporary file location when opened versus saving to my desktop and opening, sending it to a Windows 10 computer to try it there, resending the file, etc.). Some files were sent 100% through Outlook, some were sent from AOL to Outlook (no poking fun at AOL here, the person has been using that account for about 20 years ;) ). I don't have access to any of the original files currently, but I've forwarded it from both the computer receiving it (using outlook) and from a linked iphone to a different computer and a different computer using gmail and google docs top open it. Outlook email is processed though an Alt-N MDaemon server.

In all cases, the sent email originated from outside our office and was opened on a computer at our office. I don't seem to have any problems sending files within the office.

I'm totally at a loss since there seems to be an exception to every common thread. Anyone have any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2019 Views 5,235 Applies to:
Quick update- pulled up the spreadsheet on AOL's mail center via sent messages, same issue. Forwarded that sent message to another computer, same issue...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

Please provide us more information to understand the issue better:

1) Are you facing this issue with the same spreadsheet or with others too?

2) Are the computers you are referring to are they on a domain?

Please try saving the files in Excel Binary Workbook i.e. .xlsb format and check if the issue occurs or it works fine.

I hope this fixes the issue. If you still have issues, you may reply and we’ll be happy to help you.

Thank you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Sagnik,

This is happening with two different spreadsheets. They are very similar (same general columns), but totally different files. One is an .xls and one is an .xlsx.

In reference to the domain, yes and no. Both of the "out of office" computers that the original files originate from are not in any domain related to the receiving computer. One is in a job trailer using a Verizon hotspot for internet and the other is at a residence. Both are sending to our office, which has a network and server set up.

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with a firewall for internet coming into our office. That seems to be the only common thread that all of these files have.

We will try the xlsb form too.

Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Try following -

File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View > Uncheck all options

File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > File Block Settings > Uncheck all options.

Best regards
Vijay Verma

Timezone: UTC+05:30, PST+12:30
Availability Hours (UTC) : 05:00 AM - 05:00 PM

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.