Font troubles after recent Word Mac update (16.35, 20030802)

I have a strange problem with fonts—well, maybe only one font, Garamond—after the most recent update (20030802). For whatever, reason, when I open files that use Garamond (like a very long manuscript I'm working on), the font looks garbled. Everything is italicized and bolded. When I try to unbold, it un-italicizes. When I try to un-italicize, it un-bolds. But if I try to do both, the text looks double italicized and bolded. And if I switch to another font, everything functions as normal.

I've found a temporary, inconvenient fix: if I disable Garamond in Font Book, it functions just fine. But I'm reluctant to do so permanently, because then I assume I won't have access to that font in other applications (though I just checked, and it still appears in Pages).

Any ideas what might be going on here and how to fix it? Note that I tried rebooting and resolving duplicates, but no luck.

Thanks!

Answer
Answer
Others have reported this problem with Garamond. The fact that the problem goes away after disabling in Font Book suggests a problem with an macOS update. Word has its own copy of Garamond in the program folder, and that's what became active when you disabled the macOS copy.
Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", now available
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2020 Views 286 Applies to: