Font Rendering is Seriously Off in Outlook email and other thoughts about Mac/Outlook/Office

This issue has been addressed previously in some angry posts on this forum, but I thought I would address it a bit differently. The numbers below represented the following: an email sent from Outlook 2016 for Mac using a 16pt Calibri font that displays as 12 pt when it is received in Outlook for a PC etc. In the screenshot below, it is also apparent that if you are composing the email in O2016/Mac, 11 and 12 point fonts are tiny (I have tried this on both a Retina MBP and Retina 5K iMac).  So bumping up the font size to make it more readable during the email composition phase paradoxically and weirdly renders the font correctly on the recipient's computer. Since my desire is to send emails in 11 pt, I display them in 15pt in Outlook/Mac and they show up to the recipient as 11 pt.   So in a sense everything works, but this is not exactly how WYSWIG is supposed to work - this is a perversion of the concept. Also note in the example below that 12 pt Mac translates into 9 pt PC whereas 11 pt Mac renders as 10 pt PC Outlook. This is totally illogical and counterintuitive.

This is only the lost in translation issue with fonts.  Who knows how other screen elements render on the PC side.   Outlook Mac doesn't support insertion of tables, you can't show the markup because there is no paragraph button, and tons of other features area missing. On a large screen, the Apple menu houses a ton of commands that on a Windows PC are integrated into the ribbon interface. The Mac way of doing things (they know best of course)  foists a confusing and time-consuming bifurcated menu system on the user.  On the other hand, the browser experience of Safari on the Mac is amazing, it integrates with IOS, FaceTime, IMessage etc.  That's a lot of what I do at work.  And Mac clearly delivers a hardware experience with Retinal displays using postscript rendering that PCs cannot match at ultra high resolutions.  It's a real challenge to try to have your cake and eat it to because Office and particularly Outlook for Mac is underpowered and feature deprived compared to its Windows counterpart.   I could install Windows/Office on a bootcamp partition, but then I would lose the IOS and browser superiority. I have installed window/office/Mac on a VM partition using Parallels Desktop for Mac.  It's just not the same. It's slower, jerkier etc. So I will try have to make due with the dumbed down version of Office and use Word for a lot of email composition - if really important s then I will send it out using OWA (web-based) Lite client. Outlook for Mac is a big disappointment for me. it was a major reason I switched to Macs.  Look before you leap, right. In any case, what I learned is that overall, the switch was still better for, given the other features the Mac offers.  I don't hold out much hope things will change. Why should Microsoft make the effort? No matter. PC Hardware for the high end of the consumer market is doomed. 

Everyone is out of both databases.  I am going to begin the migration.  I’ll email when complete. Calibri 16/12
Everyone is out of both databases.  I am going to begin the migration.  I’ll email when complete. Calibri 15/11
Everyone is out of both databases.  I am going to begin the migration.  I’ll email when complete. Calibri 14/10.5
Everyone is out of both databases.  I am going to begin the migration.  I’ll email when complete. Calibri 13/10
Everyone is out of both databases.  I am going to begin the migration.  I’ll email when complete. Calibri 12/9
Everyone is out of both databases.  I am going to begin the migration.  I’ll email when complete. Calibri 11/10 

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

On the Windows side of Office the Outlook email composing tool that is used is Microsoft Word - you just don't see it as Microsoft Word while you are using Outlook.

For some reason, on the Mac side Microsoft has chosen to give Outlook its own light-weight email composing tool, which doesn't play well on the PC side, as many have discovered. The Outlook composing tool supports all the languages of Mac OS X and uses Apple's spelling and grammar checker. If you use Hebrew or Arabic or any other language supported by Mac OS X but not the rest of Microsoft Office, you can still compose messages. So there are pluses and minuses to this special, light-weight Outlook composing tool.

On the Mac side, you can use Microsoft Word as the Outlook composing tool. Whenever you want to send something more complex than just text, open Microsoft Word and from the View menu choose Web Layout. Then compose your message. When you're ready to send, in Word choose File > Share > Send HTML. Yes, it's not as convenient as having Word being the default composing tool like it is in Windows, but it does work better for more complex messages and cross-platform compatibility.

Be sure to include the version number and OS version when asking your question.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

"On the Mac side, you can use Microsoft Word as the Outlook composing tool. Whenever you want to send something more complex than just text, open Microsoft Word and from the View menu choose Web Layout. Then compose your message. When you're ready to send, in Word choose File > Share > Send HTML. Yes, it's not as convenient as having Word being the default composing tool like it is in Windows, but it does work better for more complex messages and cross-platform compatibility."

This is a classic kluge.  I will try it. It's better than having to go the VM and send the email there in the more robust version of Outlook.

Yesterday, the CEO of Microsoft canned a number of high level executives for either not performing or no longer being needed by MS.   The same should be done with the executive leadership that is overseeing Outlook for the Mac because this situation with inconsistencies at incompatibilities is utterly pathetic.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes - and there are situations where my suggestion won't work.

Outlook for Mac has always been more "Mac-like" than "Office-like." Office for Mac supports Applescript, but not Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications making cross-platform automation solutions impossible.

My own impression is that for the past 5 years Mac users want Microsoft Office on the Mac to be more "Office-like" than "Mac-like." To me, that means having feature parity and as much cross-platform programmability support as possible. I think the Mac audience in 2004 was the opposite - where we wanted Mac-only features and were willing to compromise when it came to cross-platform capabilities. 

I would love to see everyone's thoughts about this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@Jim - I'm new to the Mac after using Windows since it first came out. I'm obviously in the camp that wants parity.   As far as your workaround solution for sending complex emails, it worked reasonably well, but fell short when it came to images.

I was not able to do a cut and past of the work I did in Word.  Even the table would not past correctly.

Overall the Word version of Mac 2016 is closer to its Windows counterpart that Outlook. Outlook seems closer it Outlook Webmail (OTA). 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The biggest headache I have with Microsoft Outlook for Mac at the moment is its inability to export my personal folders to a PST file to allow swapping back and forth between the PC and Mac versions.  Now that I've switched to Outlook for Mac in the hope of never again needing a Windows Boot Camp partition or VM, I'm now stuck with it and can't go back to the superior Windows application.  

If it weren't for the lack of a Microsoft Visio or Project variant for OS X I'd have moved away from Windows permanently and never looked back.  I'm not impressed with Windows 10 and would prefer to rely on one operating system for all my needs.  Someone else on this forum has already argued that Adobe provides comparable Windows and Mac versions of its Creative Suite; why can't Microsoft do the same?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The directions I gave said "in Word choose File > Share > Send HTML." This avoids using Outlook's built-in composing tool. If you copy or cut and paste into the Outlook composing tool, that simply won't do because it is the Outlook composing tool we're trying to avoid.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

... Someone else on this forum has already argued that Adobe provides comparable Windows and Mac versions of its Creative Suite; why can't Microsoft do the same?

I don't speak for Microsoft. My conclusion is that Microsoft certainly could, but doesn't want to provide feature parity with Office for Windows.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have a few machines I'll dual boot into OS X/ Windows. I have done almost everything I can to avoid the windows side as my work is more important than becoming a full time IT guy trying to keep a windows box running. As an engineer and a scientist I use a lot of special software. I'll share with you that for Microsoft Project on the mac side I use iTaskX and it took no time to get up to speed with it. Except of reporting, it is a good alternate for Project and it will read and write .mpp files. 

As for Visio, A favorite, I have done everything in Omnigraffle and it will also read vision files, etc. 

So you might try those and while the MS Office for Mac is not perfect compared to the PC version, I still find it a better tool than iWork. IMHO. 

Just FYI, use or toss

Hy there

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a reasonably good workaround, but not perfect by any means. The images I embedded in my word document using one of the display options did not display very well.  it's unfortunate that MS is making things so difficult.  I guess if the versions had parity, less copies of Windows would be purchased.  This product is so new that guides for changing work habits just aren't out there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

re: the headache you are having, here is a possible RX:

I am transitioning away from Windows to the Mac. My Windows machine is still running, but I am no longer using it except for the moving/migrating of data.  Major challenges on the iMac are lack of a robust clipboard app on the Mac, and weaker versions of Office apps, especially Outlook for Mac 2016 which is really an embarrassment for MS and missing tons of features.

I have installed the Parallels Desktop for Mac VM program on both of my Macs.  I have an 11gb  .PST file that holds nearly a decade's worth of emails. I am now using th0e Exchange server client for all of my emails and have been doing so concurrently for two years, maintaining the .PST file on a singles Windows machine as the default data file, trying to keep it in sync through rules.  Now the .PST file will no longer be my primary mail store. Exchange is now my default data repository.

I have Office 2013 installed in a Windows 8 VM on both my iMac 5K desktop and MBPro.  In each VM, I have overwritten the initially created PST w/the PST from my Windows Desktop which is now frozen in time.  I  have it around for archival and search purposes and to copy some the the emails that are important to my Exchange account.  (it doesn't appear that Outlook for Mac allows the UI to show favorites folders so I will have be get used to that as well, another glaring and unfortunate lapse of judgment by Microsoft).

I also imported the .PST file into Outlook into Outlook for Mac 2016. It was as simple painless process.  The default account is now the Exchange Server.

If I need to compose an email that includes tables and images and Outlook for the Mac is not up to the task, I can go into the VM and use Outlook 2013. I have tried the workaround of sharing a Word Doc to Outlook as HTML - it works OK, but its a kluge.

Because Microsoft does not render its OS or Office apps particularly well on ultrahigh definition displays like the 5K iMac, it looks less polished on the screen than the Office Mac 2016 counterpart.  Text is not as crisp although it is still retina.  My guess is that it would look similar in Bootcamp.    

That's my workaround. Since I am using an Exchange client for my mailstore, exporting has become irrelevant. I have the more robust versions of office at my fingertips. I really don't care how their being stored as long as I can retrieve them from Exchange server.

Translation of course between both version of Outlook is far from ideal as I have pointed out in other posts.  it's obvious the real smart people are not manning this project for MS.  They're getting the leftovers, the really top notch talent have fled to Google, Apple, Facebook etc.  The folks who created Outlook for the Mac 2016 have no vision.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated March 24, 2020 Views 4,249 Applies to: