Folders status stuck on "sync pending"

I've just started to use Onedrive and I've encounter the following problem:

Some of the folders I've moved to Onedrive are stuck on a status of "sync pending", even though the icon in the system tray says Onedrive is up to date.

When I look inside these folders the status of all files is "available on this device". It looks as though all files are synced but the status of some folders has not been updated. This is an annoyance, as I constantly have to check to make sure my files are actually synced.

I'm using Windows 10; Onedrive version is 2018 (Build 18.065.0329.0002).

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what can be done about it?

thanks.

Moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Did you find a solution to this issue please? I am experiencing the same thing since my PC was upgraded to 18.065.0329.0002, and it is really annoying to not be able to rely on the icon status anymore.

One thing I have noticed is that the problem seems to appear if there are certain hidden/system/temp files within a folder. One way to replicate the problem is to create a new folder in a synched location, then create a normal text (*.txt) file in this folder. This will synch fine, and the folder icon will be correct. If you then change the file extension to *.tmp, the file will be removed from OneDrive and the folder will get stuck in the synching status.

Even though certain file types are excluded from synching, it seems to me that it's a bug that this has the effect that the folder will then appear as synching.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Following your post, I've checked all of the problematic folders (the ones stuck on pending) by unchecking the option to hide system files, and indeed they all had what looked like leftover system files (probably left after an application crash). For me these were all local Word files beginning with ~$ and having a 1 KB size. After deleting these files all of the folders received a "synced" status.

It seems that these files are not synced, as indeed they shouldn't, being junk files left behind after Word crashed or something, but that somehow their presence in my local folders prevented the status from appearing as "synced".

So I guess the solution for now is simply to delete these renegade files.

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, I take it back. That is not a solution. Apparently.

It worked for almost all of my "pending" folders, except one.

I still have one folder with no hidden or system files as far as I can tell, showing as "sync pending", although all files inside this folder are marked as synced.

No idea why just this folder...

pff...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi rokabard,

Your query is best being handled in OneDrive in app support. Please read this link for more information.

Do let us know if you have any other questions.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same question

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This has happened to me in the exact order.

1. First folders with pending status was resolved by deleting cash files starting with "~$". thanks for the tip @rokabard

2. then there was one folder which didn't have those temporary files. the only way I was able to recover by creating another folder and coping the files in to it. 

windows search didn't support on finding "~$" files even when made system files and hidden files visible. Had to delete each file at the folder. 

As far as I know there's no direct fix for the 2nd point. Was better to move on by manually doing it without wasting time on it. 

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This has happened to me in the exact order.

1. First folders with pending status was resolved by deleting cash files starting with "~$". thanks for the tip @rokabard

2. then there was one folder which didn't have those temporary files. the only way I was able to recover by creating another folder and coping the files in to it. 

windows search didn't support on finding "~$" files even when made system files and hidden files visible. Had to delete each file at the folder. 

As far as I know there's no direct fix for the 2nd point. Was better to move on by manually doing it without wasting time on it. 

I found just renaming the folder afterwards did it. So, first delete all the hidden/system files, and then rename the folder to something else and back again. In almost all cases I found just deleting the files was not enough. They almost all remained with the stuck sync pending status.

And since I had copied a bunch of really old folders, that were full of old Word temp files, etc, this was a real pain.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The solution is to ditch Onedrive and use DropBox. I have suffered almost daily disruptions in productivity from the glitchy app and complete lack of support from Microsoft (what a surprise), I'm finally giving up and switching to DropBox in the hopes that their software may actually work.

72 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please tel me that all of my files I transferred aren't lost!!!! its stuck in sync pending. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the same issue where a folder after copying it to a Onedrive folder didn't complete (some files completed and stayed in syncing for a few other files. When I tried to open my Ondrive folder online it looked like I was logged out. after logging back in online and copying the folder again, all completed immediately.

Probably not the issue/solution for everyone but for me it did the trick.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 98,569 Applies to: