File Path too long - Excel, Office 2019, Win 10, SharePoint

I have office 2019 and Windows 10. While opening some excel files on share point I get the error of file path too long. The same files at the same location were opening perfectly 1 week back. The only change since then has been that I installed an office language pack. I do not have a restore point so cannot go back in time.

My colleagues are able to open the same file from the same location without any errors.

Please help

Hi Ankur

I'm Jen, and I'd be happy to help you out with this issue.

Try to rename the file/folder or move the file to some other folder location so that the total length of the file would be lesser. Folder names in sharepoint are limited to 128 characters. The best approach is to use short, descriptive names while avoiding spaces and unusual characters. For example, a space which encoded as %20 will take three characters.

I hope this information helps. If you have any questions, please let me know and I'd be glad to assist you further.

Best Regards!
Jen :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the solution you propose and it is working. However, the original problem still remains. To re-iterate, I was able to open the files with the same name and same location two weeks back; while now I encounter the error of too long name. Meanwhile, my colleagues are still able to open the file from the same location.

The problem started after I installed a language pack. Now I am unable to restore back. Seems there is some version problem with my office installation, which I am unable to figure out.

Regards

Ankur

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 4, 2023 Views 1,039 Applies to: