"File already exists" when trying to save a new file

HI all, every time I try to save anything on WORD the message 'file already exists - replace?' comes up...does anyone know why?  I am new to Office/Word on Mac, I used it regularly on my old regular laptop, and am wondering if using it on the mac makes a difference???

Question Info

Last updated October 3, 2019 Views 438 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Typically that means you are using "Save As...." and trying to save the document. That is "actually" the better way to save a document, as you are not just adding changes but starting with a clean slate. 

On the other hand, If you need to use Compare Document or collaborating with other people and need track changes then you want to do a standard "Save" (⌘ - S). In which case, that warning should not come up.

Now if you are saving for the very first time on a new document, and you get that warning, then you have a Document you already have written with the same Title. 

So if it is a Document that you have already worked on and you want to make a clean version Just allow it to save. If you remember, you had another document with that name just dismiss the warning and append another character onto the end of the document (example: Document would become Document1). 

_________

Disclaimer:

The questions, discussions, opinions, replies & answers I create, are solely mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator.

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.