Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll. Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.8326.2073, time stamp: 0x598bfe14

Split from this thread.

I am having the exact same issue as above.  Same error code: Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, specific Event Viewer statement is:

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.8326.2073, time stamp: 0x598bfe14
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.15063.447, time stamp: 0xa96ab320
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000a3952
Faulting process id: 0x1b34
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3179d8b47ef3f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 8e971dd9-42c6-43f8-832d-b3f213235ba6
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Fixes I have tried:

- Disable macros

- Update Office to latest version

- Update Windows to latest version

- Run excel in safe mode

- Uninstall all other instances of office except one being used

- Repaired (local and online) office

- Ran System File Check scan on system

None of these resolved the issue.  It only happens when trying to add a link to the excel sheet, but if you select the Browse button, it works fine, but if you select anything inside the window excel crashes.

Any idea on how to fix this?  Event viewer states the issue is with ucrtbase.dll

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

It's possible that a system file needed to run Excel maybe missing or corrupted, causing Excel to crash. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Did you make any changes to your computer before Excel started crashing when you try to insert a hyperlink?
  • Does this happen when inserting any hyperlink?
  • Does this happen only while you have a specific Excel file open, or does this happen to every Excel file?
  • Are you using a third-party antivirus application?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Yolvi,

• Did you make any changes to your computer before Excel started crashing when you try to insert a hyperlink?

This has happened since I got the new system about 3 months ago.  No changes to the computer since it is a computer I only do work on.

• Does this happen when inserting any hyperlink?

It happens when trying to browse for a link to insert.  When you right click on any cell, go to the bottom and click Link, it opens a new window.  If I click the drop down box (look in), anything inside the current folder, up one level, Excel crashes.  However, if I click on Browse For File, it pops up a window to allow me to search for a file, and if I use this method, its fine.  The problem though is I tend to forget this when I am multi-tasking and it crashes the whole document when I have not saved in awhile.

• Does this happen only while you have a specific Excel file open, or does this happen to every Excel file?

This happens on every Excel sheet.  I opened a blank one and tried, same issue.  I even ran excel in safe mode, same issue.

• Are you using a third-party antivirus application?

I am only using windows defender, which came with windows 10.

I hope this helps. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate the information you provided. We suggest completely uninstalling Office 2016 from your computer using the easy fix tool by following Option 2 here. Then, reinstall it by following the steps provided in this article.

Let us know if the error disappears after uninstalling and reinstalling Office.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Yolvi,

I followed the steps to uninstall and reinstall... the problem still persists.  Any other ideas?

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We recommend performing a repair installation of Windows 10 on your computer by following the steps provided by Andre Da Costa here. This will let you keep the files and programs you have on your computer while repairing the system. 

Let us know what happens after the repair installation of Windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Yolvi,

I attempted the above fix, it did not resolve the problem.  The issue is still persistent.  I did however try to replicate the issue on another user account on the computer but it was not having the same issue.  My thoughts are that it has something to do with possibly a user setting on that one profile since all the same programs are installed on the other account?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

This issue may have occurred due to some corrupted components on the said user account. We'd like to know if the user account in question is an Admin account and if the other account has also Admin rights for further research.

We'll wait for your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Xylee,

Yes the user account is an Admin account and is located in the Administrator Group in the Local Users and Groups.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The System files associated with Excel may have encountered a corruption that caused the issue on the Admin account in question. Since some troubleshooting steps were all done and the issue still persists, we highly suggest that you use the other user account for the mean time.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you check this article and perform Method 1 using the OffCAT tool. You may also try the other troubleshooting steps given on the article that you haven't done yet, kindly see if there will be any changes.

Get back to us for further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The link you provided provides an error.  I will try the think again later to see if it is just a bad connection or if the page is down.  I cannot really use the other account since it is a work computer and it requires me to be joined to the domain of my company in order for me to access the files that I need.  I do have a work around from the problem, but the issue is remembering to use that work around when I am swamped with work.  If I forget the work around and click inside the box and Excel crashes, then I end up having to use the file-recovery for the document.

I did a search for the OffCAT tool and will attempt to use the tool on the effected computer and will post the results when available.

---------------

Here are the results from running OffCAT:

The only error that came up was that Office was out-of-date.  Updated and re-ran.  No issues detected.  Here is a screen shot of the log:

Here is the ConfigSummary.txt information:

Windows Info Name = Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Bitness = 64-bit Version = 10.0.15063 Service Pack Level = RTM Windows Directory = C:\WINDOWS Hardware Info Machine Name = 1L2WZF2-LAPTOP Computer Manufacturer = Dell Inc. Virtual Machine = False Touch Enabled = False User Info Name = Donald Mapes DN = CN=don mapes,OU=Internal Audit,OU=TPC,OU=Denver,OU=Users,OU=Triangle Petroleum,DC=triangle,DC=local User profile location = C:\Users\dmapes Software Info Default Browser = "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" %1 Antivirus "Windows Defender" is enabled and up to date Office Info SKU = Microsoft Office 365 Business Bitness = x86 Service Pack Level = Installation Type = ClickToRun Installation Folder = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16 Build Info EXCEL.exe Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE Build = 16.0.8326.2096 Mso.dll Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX86\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE16\mso.dll Build = 16.0.8326.2096 Oart.dll Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\oart.dll Build = 16.0.8326.2096 Vbe7.dll Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX86\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.dll Build = 7.1.10.68 Fm20.dll Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\SystemX86\FM20.dll Build = 16.0.8326.2096 ClickToRun Build = 16.0.8326.2096 Latest Version = Updating Enabled = True C2R Channel = Current Channel Registered add-ins HKEY_CURRENT_USER HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (Wow) Microsoft Power Map for Excel Files in the Office Install XLStart Folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\XLStart\Finsubs.xla Excel File Associations HKCR\Excel.Template\shell\Open\command(Default) = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" /dde HKCR\Excel.TemplateMacroEnabled\shell\Open\command(Default) = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" /dde HKCR\Excel.SheetMacroEnabled.12\shell\Open\command(Default) = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" /dde HKCR\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\Open\command(Default) = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" /dde HKCR\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open\command(Default) = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" /dde HKCR\Excel.SheetBinaryMacroEnabled.12\shell\Open\command(Default) = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" /dde HKCR\Excel.Template.8\shell\Open\command(Default) = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE" /dde

If you need any further information, please let me know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 8, 2024 Views 36,649 Applies to: