Export or download OneNote data? Or find local files?

How do I export/download OneNote data?

Tried following instructions online both for exporting and for finding where the local files are stored, they seem to be all either outdated or not applicable to Mac.

*Are* there even local files stored?

They are not in Documents, nor was I able to locate them in Library (but may be looking in the wrong place?)

|
Answer
Answer

Dear Samus42,

Good day! Thank you for posting your query in our community.

According to your description, you want to export the notebook on a Mac.

From this official article: Export and import OneNote notebooks (microsoft.com), the Export feature only applies to notebooks stored on personal OneDrive accounts, not for notebooks stored on OneDrive for Business. If the notebooks are saved to your personal OneDrive, you can try the steps in above article.

If you want to import/export notebooks with your work account on OneNote for Mac, this feature in OneNote for Mac is not available yet. Other members have already submit requirement for this feature in this UserVoice , you can also vote it, the higher votes, the more attention the related team will pay on. Many good ideas have been taken in this way. Your voice is also important to us.

If my understanding is wrong, please feel free to post back and correct me.

Sincerely,

Jazlyn | Microsoft Community Moderator

-----------
•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Dear Eileen,

OneNote files are not stored locally. For OneNote 2016, it has a Backup folder of OneNote from Office (even for local notebooks), but OneNote for Windows 10, which uses only notebooks synced to OneDrive, has no Backup at all (so this folder doesn't exist).

Sincerely,

Jazlyn | Microsoft Community Moderator

-----------
•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2024 Views 98 Applies to: