Excel Why is Freeze Panes greyed out?

I want to freeze the top row of a spreadsheet so it shows on my screen at all times. When I go to View > Freeze Panes, it is greyed out.

Hi GeneWaugh! Thank you for writing to the Microsoft Answer Community Forum, I am Shakiru, an independent advisor and a user like you, and I am glad to be helping you out today. May I confirm the following: 1. When you open a new workbook is the Freeze Pane grey out? 2. Are you working on the Spreadsheet right now, that is editing or using the formula bar? Try this: 1. Save your Work and close the Application> open the Excel file again: check if the Freeze pane is still ON 2. Copy the entire sheet to another Workbook and see if the Freeze pane is not grey out 3. Unprotect the Sheet and check if the Freeze pane is not grey out 4. Restart the PC, this also works. Kind Regards, Shakiru Please, remember to give back to the community. Help the next person with this problem by indicating if this conversation was helpful. Thank you

Give a helping hand today.....

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SPEEDY REPLY!! I will go back to the spreadsheet with your suggestions---but one thing that I have come across since I posted is the possibility that in Excel, you cannot use both headers/footers AND freeze pane on the same file...I need to keep digging!!

Again, Thanks!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi GeneWaugh! You are very much welcome! Kind Regards, Shakiru

Give a helping hand today.....

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 3,697 Applies to: