Excel, TMP files and Thumbdrives

I have used a thumbdrive for my daily excel sheet working for a several months now.

I normally open a file and work on it during the day and save it spasmodically during the day.

I also move the thumbdrive between computers, copying other files etc.

No problems until a week ago, when I first started noticing "TMP" files being left visible on the thumbdrive subdirectory while I am working with excel.

The visible TMP files seem to be about every half-hour or so - I guess whenever I "saved" the file & left it open to continue working.

As a test, I tried the same thing from a copy of the file on the harddrive of my computer and NO TMP files were visible.

Why only the thumbdrive ?

Why did it start only a week ago when everything was fine for months beforehand ?

How do I fix it so the TMP files are not visible ?

System is :

HP laptop / 16gb

Win 11

Office Home & Student 2019

Many thanks for any answers.

Answer
Answer

The solution I made works!

But if you don't want to reformat from FAT32 to NFTS and wait for Microsoft next update to fix (if and when they will fix ), the .tmp files are easily deleted by going into 'Safe Mode' on your computer, then go to your external drive into all the folders where the .tmp files are and they will be deleted. Any folder that has a .tmp file that you do not go into may remain. Then exit 'Safe Mode' to continue.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 23, 2023 Views 2,862 Applies to: